Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cranks

+1

Cranks

Alright guys, I have to either buy a crank or rebuid mine. I have been reading up on discussions on this for the last hour. I'm not going to say it is about money, I just want a damn good crank that is going to last, without breaking the bank.
    I know my options are OEM, Hot Rod, Crankworks, and I am sure there are others. What ever I do, I will have it trued and welded. Please tell me the good, bad, the ugly, and how much you spent. I know opinions are like azzholes, but I want to hear it all. I am not very interested in a used one since I do not want to have to jack with this ski ever again.

Well my main crank bearings still were good I think. Crankworks is inspecting it though to make sure. They are doing all the labor for 250 including the true and welding.

250 gets -
    Disassemble
    Inspection of parts
    Assemble
    True and Weld

Then you tack on parts and shipping. I went with all new rods and rod bearings for sure from Hot Rods. 75 dollars each from crankworks includes the rods, bearings, ect.

http://www.hotrodsproducts.com/index...&productid=260

Not sure what they charge for the main crank bearings. They haven't called me so I assume they checked mine out and they are A-OK.

Chris how many $$ you looking at now?

+1
    Boats.net you can get a brand new OEM crank for $750. Shipping is free also.

I don't know how much other options are, but IMO if the next option is say $500, I would seriously consider the Boats.net option. Considering the crank is the heart of the motor, $250 seems like peanuts in the grand scheme of things. Unless there is a crank that is better than OEM, I would go the Boats.net route.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
    Well my main crank bearings still were good I think. Crankworks is inspecting it though to make sure. They are doing all the labor for 250 including the true and welding.

250 gets -
    Disassemble
    Inspection of parts
    Assemble
    True and Weld

Then you tack on parts and shipping. I went with all new rods and rod bearings for sure from Hot Rods. 75 dollars each from crankworks includes the rods, bearings, ect.

http://www.hotrodsproducts.com/index...&productid=260

Not sure what they charge for the main crank bearings. They haven't called me so I assume they checked mine out and they are A-OK.
    So how much are you looking at total with shipping? Close to $600 right?

Well lets see.

Crankworks Labor and True/Weld - 250
    3 New HotRods Rod Kits - 225
    Shipping - 120ish (I shipped might in a custom crank crate so extra handling applied)

595 is a rough guess.

Note though the HotRods Rods are stronger than stock. When I get it back I will have a crank that is among the best you can throw together. Not a stock one....

Also I will be selling two good OEM rods so that will knock the price down below 550.
    Last edited by Chrisrokc; 10-14-2007 at 08:29 PM.

+1
    I just went through this myself last month...I did all the research, cost vs quality and this is what I did...I bought a new oem yamaha crank ,I trued and welded it myself( thanks allcool for the video), put in new pro-x pistons , and checked all my clearances in motor ( found some issues and fixed it)...im now exactly 200 rpm's more than before with same set-up. My vote is O.E.M. imo

I just walked out of crank works I brought in 3 cranks one I thought might be good and 2 with issues I was told to get a hotrod crank 500 and have them weld it and true it for 150 mine was a 98 1200 non pv They also said the hotrod cranks are very nice and in spec from the ones they checked! Z ps SBT will buy your old crank! I'm selling 3 for 120.00

if you get a crank with everything already on it (such as a hot rods assembly, hint hint) check and make sure the bearings are true.

My crank assembly had the PTO side bearing pressed on with a slight angle to it and casued the #3 to take a dump.

+1
    This is from Island's website.
    HOT RODS CRANKSHAFT
    4069 $649.95

Hot Rods Crankshafts are sold complete with the original proven Hot Rods Connecting Rods, top end bearings, and crankshaft webs.
    Factory assembled and trued to OEM specifications, Hot Rods Cranks will meet or surpass the OEM in performance and durability.
    Crankshafts are completely rebuildable with genuine Hot Rods connecting rods.
    ALL BRAND NEW! Not Rebuilt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information