Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

Operating Temp Range of 4Tec motor...

Okay, so I have been in a discussion/debate/slap fest with a few people the past few weeks about the operating temp of the motor...Obviously cooler temps are better, as evident with the thermo mods...Yet if you go cooler, what happens?

The argument we are not settled on, which leads us to the question in our debate, is there an operating temp/range that the 4Tec motor likes to be in?....Otherwise, open loop is ideal, especially in fresh water...

Plus the guys doing GPR conversions are 99.9999% going to open loop...

+1
    Here is the real deal, Combustion chamber temperature directly affects how much timing u get away with w/o detonation. Cooler stat, cooler head, cooler chamber. Add timing to taste, enjoy HP. That being said open loop cooling can make it so cool u may want to restrict flow under certain conditions. 150-160 deg. will make more power than 200 even if no timing is added, but u won't notice it on a ski. I feel like it's a must when u run an ecu. This is because of the total timing as well as the curve, detonation even at it mildest, can slowly eat cyl. head gaskets. Keep cool and run faster. U WILL need to change the oil more often, because u will no longer be burning off the combustion residue that makes it's way into the oil via blow-by. This concludes todays' lesson....lets party

Banned User
    +1
    Yea, head gaskets are being replaced on a few machines I know that are running high boost and RPM's....

My understanding was that if you go too cool, the pistons can't "swell" to their normal designed size and stop blowby...am I wrong?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Yea, head gaskets are being replaced on a few machines I know that are running high boost and RPM's....

My understanding was that if you go too cool, the pistons can't "swell" to their normal designed size and stop blowby...am I wrong?
    thats why the 150-160deg is a minimum temp, and why u may want to restrict water flow to keep it from being too cool w/ open loop. Forged pistons do require more clearance and will make more noise at 160, but as long as the knock sensor does not pick it up, it's all good. On a race motor w/ forged slugs, it sounds like a quiet diesel at start-up on cold mornings. Goes away by 150ish coolant temp, as they swell. Todays mordern forged pistons are even more forgiving than just 10 years ago.....whoever the old-timer is, tell him so Ring control is only a problem when the engine is cold, and u can hear some "piston slap".

+1
    last SLAP i heard was when she HIT me and then i picked myself up! hahahahaha

Banned User
    +1
    Thats what I figured....and since I am not running a race motor, I'm not worried about it too much. I'm sticking with a stock motor/ecu and running the RR 158 unit right now.....was debating going open loop, as were some other people...

+1
    Danny u know where the open loop instructions can be viewed i tried and cant seem to get them?? i wanted to look at that BEFORE i JUMPED on it! i am considering it myself!

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    Danny u know where the open loop instructions can be viewed i tried and cant seem to get them?? i wanted to look at that BEFORE i JUMPED on it! i am considering it myself!

Its listed in the description in Jerry's store...

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=499

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Its listed in the description in Jerry's store...

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=499
    i seen that but i cant get the instructions to OPEN!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information