Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2000 RX

2000 RX

Just picked up a RX saturday and have a lsit of things that I wanto to do to it but really dont know how far I can go performance wise (I have more experience with motorcycles). What can I do, what should I do or keep an eye out for?

+1
    Re-jet carbs and filters. then find a pipe from a 97.5 GSX-L ( white pipe ).

Quote Originally Posted by Paulz01 View Post
    Just picked up a RX saturday and have a lsit of things that I wanto to do to it but really dont know how far I can go performance wise (I have more experience with motorcycles). What can I do, what should I do or keep an eye out for?
    How many hours on it? When is the last time the carbs were pulled and thorougly gone through? Reason I ask, is I picked 2 up this summer fairly good price. It had a slight hesitation/bog on take off, but not every time. I kept telling myself I was going to pull the carbs, clean, put kits in etc.. well to make a long story short, One weekend away from pulling the carbs, I chewed a mag piston. LOL< always next thing on the list, just never did it. This machine had only about 35 hrs on a new OEM replaced motor, just wasnt ridden much.
    So definately pull the carbs and go through them. While your at it, pull the raves and clean em too. This ski is a blast to ride, carves great, plenty of power and stable, good for 2 up riding. It has plenty of power in stock form, just keep it stock and ride it, might change your intake grate and impellor, otherwise leave it alone. Just my .02 ....BigT

It does have some what of a bog at take off but I just put that down as the bottom end drag. But if u think I should clean it, I will. Thats no biggy. Could you just tell me how to though? Ive never worked on a ski before, just motorcycles. Where exactly is everything located and what do I have to do.

Just so u dont say, take it to a mechanic, I am not an idiot. I do have experience working on engines, can pull a bike apart and put it back together with my eyes closed. Just new to the sport.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    It does have some what of a bog at take off but I just put that down as the bottom end drag. But if u think I should clean it, I will. Thats no biggy. Could you just tell me how to though? Ive never worked on a ski before, just motorcycles. Where exactly is everything located and what do I have to do.

Just so u dont say, take it to a mechanic, I am not an idiot. I do have experience working on engines, can pull a bike apart and put it back together with my eyes closed. Just new to the sport.
    It should not bog at all...if right. So you do need to clean the carbs. The critical thing is cleaning the accelerator pump orifices. Disassemble and spray carb cleaner through them until you get a good stream...this is your low-end stumble problem. Also remove and clean the filter screens within the carbs. All this can be done with a can of carb cleaner, no kits required to reassemble. Spray carb cleaner though all jets and passages.

Can you do me a favor and let me know where I would find the carb on the ski along with the accelerator pump orifices? I dont have the ski infront of me and will not have a chance to work on it until sunday.

Can you do me a favor and let me know where I would find the carb on the ski along with the accelerator pump orifices? I dont have the ski infront of me and will not have a chance to work on it until sunday.
    If you know what a motorcycle carb looks like then you'll be able to find both carbs on your RX. Just like a car engine, the accelerator pump has a rod and plunger that pushes against a diaphram. Only on your carbs, the pump is external. You should easily be able to identify it.

+1
    Pick up a service manual off of ebay or do a search on here. I know there was a good post with a bunch of service manuals for download.

Also, replace every gray tempo fuel line in the boat. Do one at a time so you don't mix them up. I used regular fuel hose from NAPA.

If your going to pull the carbs then my advice would be to pick up flame arrestors and the rejet kit from Bill O'neal. His jetting setup is perfect. It also gets rid of some of the airbox crap.

Oh, the carbs are under the big black pipe, and no you don't have to remove the pipe to access the carbs. Use an allen/socket attachment, swivels work well too.
    Good Luck.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Pick up a service manual off of ebay or do a search on here. I know there was a good post with a bunch of service manuals for download.

Also, replace every gray tempo fuel line in the boat. Do one at a time so you don't mix them up. I used regular fuel hose from NAPA.

If your going to pull the carbs then my advice would be to pick up flame arrestors and the rejet kit from Bill O'neal. His jetting setup is perfect. It also gets rid of some of the airbox crap.

Oh, the carbs are under the big black pipe, and no you don't have to remove the pipe to access the carbs. Use an allen/socket attachment, swivels work well too.
    Good Luck.
    Doug
    Bill's kit is great. You can feel the ski wake up a bit. To get the carbs off, get a allen wrench (i believe its 6mm) and use a bench grinder to grind off the curved section so you are left with just the straight part. Make sure you get rid of ALL of the bend though. Then get a 6mm socket, wrap some duct tape arround the allen key, and hammer it into the socket. You have yourself a custom allen wrench socket!

Quote Originally Posted by seadoo951 View Post
    Bill's kit is great. You can feel the ski wake up a bit. To get the carbs off, get a allen wrench (i believe its 6mm) and use a bench grinder to grind off the curved section so you are left with just the straight part. Make sure you get rid of ALL of the bend though. Then get a 6mm socket, wrap some duct tape arround the allen key, and hammer it into the socket. You have yourself a custom allen wrench socket!
    This is the best tool for getting the carbs off. Mine is only 2.5-3" long though...just long enough to clear the carbs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information