Bad luck with new RXP...

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and new to PWC. I've had my 07' RXP 215 for a week now. I put a little over 5 hrs on it. Well here's the issue...

I was trying to finish the break-in on Sunday on a lake... was out there for 2hrs or so when sucked up crap in the impeller. Had my buddy idle me in to shore. Come to find out, there were two pieces of wood and a plastic soda bottle jammed in the impeller. Using the how-to directions I removed the steering/reverse assembly and removed the pump. I was able to remove the wood and bottle off the impeller. The wear ring has a few more grooves in it, but it's not that bad. I'll get that changed after the breakin. The issue is... after the pump comes off you can see through to the intake grate. Right before the prop are 8 fins that look like they are supposed to straighten the water or something before it hits the prop. Well the bigger piece of wood broke 7 out of the 8 fins. Only thing I could do was clean up and grind smooth the broken ones. Cleaned everything else up and put everything back together.

It looks like its a big job to replace that whole rear section that the fins are attached to. This happen to anyone else?? Any suggestions??? Sorry for the long post.

Thanks
    Adam

+1
    If it will make you feel ANY better, the 2008's do not have the fins anymore. Make 'em flat and you are good to go.

Just what he said, same thing happened to me. Just file them down and forget about it.

I guess... I just wonder if the hull inside the intake grate may be designed different.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    If it will make you feel ANY better, the 2008's do not have the fins anymore. Make 'em flat and you are good to go.
    Why did they remove the fins in 2008?

I had this happen to both of my 04 RXP's last February. I was very suspicious about just grinding these shark fins smooth, but thanks to good advice from guys on this forum they are smooth now and both skis are still running fine. Changing the pump supports (shoes) is not easy and in your case not necessary! Clean up any silic one that may be hanging down in you pump cavity----this is a good time to do it.

Thread Information