Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62
  1. #1
    Pistonwash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,595
    +1
    77

    Could somone call R&D?

    I do not know Glenn personally but, in light of recent events, he needs to be called...once again. This intake grate problem has been beat to death, now one of our high profile members has been seriously hurt. I wish someone could go take pictures of the UNTOUCHED after-the-crash grate and present them w/ the crash video, to the next level of what should happen.

    Either have a recall on the grates or change the way you manufactor them. Period. This is crazy.

    Could someone alert them to this latest failure?

    Thanks.


  2. #2
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,004
    +1
    406
    What are we supposed to tell them Mike?

    A member of our forum was going 90+ on a 300hp GPR and the grate you designed for a 54mph 800 broke? Thats a lost battle before it starts.

    Not trying to be a jackass Mike but I don't think we are going to win that one. We have to take responsibility when we start modifying these boats, its that simple IMO.

  3. #3
    Pistonwash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,595
    +1
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    What are we supposed to tell them Mike?

    A member of our forum was going 90+ on a 300hp GPR and the grate you designed for a 54mph 800 broke? Thats a lost battle before it starts.

    Not trying to be a jackass Mike but I don't think we are going to win that one. We have to take responsibility when we start modifying these boats, its that simple IMO.
    Nope. This is happening on a myriad of different levels of modifications, not just the 80+ club. If the analogy were, our skis are like guns, we must be responsible on how to use them. Then, the intake grate is an exploding bullet in the chamber.

    I cannot see why you would'nt observe that there is a problem even if it is 1 out of 20 grates...or whatever percentage it is. The point is, the pipes did not explode, the steering did not break, the nozzle did not disentegrate, the seat did not fly off at 90 mph...no, the intake grate failed and caused the ski to go into a uncontrollable hook which now has caused serious injury.

    If you know you are a part of the problem...then pull the freaking grate off the shelf or re-design itto where it does not fail in normal conditions. The grate should be design to handle whatever the tunnel pressure can handle.

    R&D is at fault here with full knowledge of the failure(s) imo.

  4. #4
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,004
    +1
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistonwash View Post
    Nope. This is happening on a myriad of different levels of modifications, not just the 80+ club. If the analogy were, our skis are like guns, we must be responsible on how to use them. Then, the intake grate is an exploding bullet in the chamber.

    I cannot see why you would'nt observe that there is a problem even if it is 1 out of 20 grates...or whatever percentage it is. The point is, the pipes did not explode, the steering did not break, the nozzle did not disentegrate, the seat did not fly off at 90 mph...no, the intake grate failed and caused the ski to go into a uncontrollable hook which now has caused serious injury.

    If you know you are a part of the problem...then pull the freaking grate off the shelf or re-design itto where it does not fail in normal conditions. The grate should be design to handle whatever the tunnel pressure can handle.

    R&D is at fault here with full knowledge of the failure(s) imo.


    I fully understand your point and agree with you Mike.

    Just don't think we have a legal leg to stand on because of the use. If this had been a GPR 800 maybe but still it would be hard to prove IMO. Do people sue when they snap an axle on a drag car? Scatter a clutch, break a U-joint? How do you prove its not mis-use?

    Several people have bitched to R&D including myself and the only thing they have done is given me another crappy grate. We know they are crap but we still continue to use them, when does self responsibility come into play?
    Last edited by Duke; 10-16-2007 at 08:33 AM.

  5. #5
    MPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,340
    +1
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    What are we supposed to tell them Mike?

    A member of our forum was going 90+ on a 300hp GPR and the grate you designed for a 54mph 800 broke? Thats a lost battle before it starts.

    Not trying to be a jackass Mike but I don't think we are going to win that one. We have to take responsibility when we start modifying these boats, its that simple IMO.
    Not trying to be an ass or downplay how serious this is, but I find myself agreeing with what Duke is saying. When R&D did the R&D on this grate im sure they used a stock (to slightly modded) ski. I doubt they intended these things to even go past 70 mph. I'm no engineer but I can't even imagine the extra force/pressure put on these grates when the ski is going 90 mph. Us knowing this part is prone to blow up, why do we continue to push the limits and run them at up to 80 mph, some 90 mph? All for 1-2 extra MPH? This is no different than us preaching for people not to run the stock grate. Be careful guys, before someone gets killed.

  6. #6
    My son (mohawk man) jeffsntx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Belton TX
    Posts
    2,598
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MPower View Post
    Not trying to be an ass or downplay how serious this is, but I find myself agreeing with what Duke is saying. When R&D did the R&D on this grate im sure they used a stock (to slightly modded) ski. I doubt they intended these things to even go past 70 mph. I'm no engineer but I can't even imagine the extra force/pressure put on these grates when the ski is going 90 mph. Us knowing this part is prone to blow up, why do we continue to push the limits and run them at up to 80 mph, some 90 mph? All for 1-2 extra MPH? This is no different than us preaching for people not to run the stock grate. Be careful guys, before someone gets killed.
    +1

    I have seen dirt track racers get their leg torn up from shattering flex plates. Hell I have seen a guy in a car that ended up with his foot sitting in his lap after a U joint broke and the drive shaft hit him in the knee. Its just one of those things that you have to deal with when you are building a performance machine.

  7. #7
    HopatcongGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,114
    the grate was designed for a 60-65mph boat.

    it is not desigend to withstand the harmonics imposed at 90, 80, or 75 for that matter.

    look at the design, a single bar on th eleading edge with a hug scoope and two trailing bars. im sure that scoop oscillates at high speed. its only a mater of time before it fails. the fix would be a double bar on the leading edge...but no one would want that because it will scrub speed.

    personally, i would be more concerned using a stainless grate and the little 10mm bolts.

    john is lucky he didnt get killed. he could have easily snapped his neck on that crash. his accident should be a wake up call for all of us. if you have a family, take a breath and realise what could happen if something gives.

    this is the price we pay for being at the leading edge of speed.

  8. #8
    r33pwrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sammamish Washington
    Posts
    4,216
    +1
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by HopatcongGPR View Post
    the grate was designed for a 60-65mph boat.
    I havent even seen may 800's going that fast

    Its sad what has happened to people but we are a small percentage of the end users... I will bet that only a small percent of these fail. Its part of the game, it does suck that the weak point is also a saftey problem.

    On a second note R&D does advertise there grate with a 76mph package.... so with that in mind I would say they claim these to be safe up to this speed since there is not disclaimer about it!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NASHVILLE
    Posts
    438
    I would say the most you'll get out of R&D is a disclaimer.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    I havent even seen may 800's going that fast

    Its sad what has happened to people but we are a small percentage of the end users... I will bet that only a small percent of these fail. Its part of the game, it does suck that the weak point is also a saftey problem.

    On a second note R&D does advertise there grate with a 76mph package.... so with that in mind I would say they claim these to be safe up to this speed since there is not disclaimer about it!
    That's a very good point, R&D and Riva advertise these grates with high performance "for race use only" packages. I'm no lawyer and don't know the implications of this but they're obviously not strictly intended for stock craft.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Better call BRP,,,,,,,,their new way out of warranty
    By HOSS in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-23-2005, 03:37 PM
  2. lost 400 rpms , could it be weather and humidity ???
    By rxp_boy in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-01-2005, 04:45 PM
  3. what calls for wear ring?
    By rrrxxxppp in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 04:43 PM
  4. What could be wrong...water ingestion?
    By rx4pain in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-26-2005, 11:12 AM
  5. Lake of the Ozarks Roll Call!
    By theantiRXP in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 01:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •