Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Honda connecting rod on Sea Doo 951 crank?

I'm building a super stock crank. I have heard using a Honda motocross rod since the upper wrist pin is wider and the Honda bearing has longer needle bearings. Does anyone know what rod exactly that model/year rod comes from. It is supposed to be 1mm shorter than SD oem rod. The 87 to 01 CR500 rod is 4mm longer. My crankbuilder suggested using a Polaris 800 rod which is 3mm shorter which would increase my crankcase pressure but still the wrist pin bearing is the same which is what supposedly fails on SD motors.
    WHAT IS THIS MYSTERY HONDA ROD THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT??????

I always just thought the honda rods were stronger and 1mm shorter than the stock rods. Wouldn't a wider wrist pin cause some problems with the wrist pin on the piston? Regardless I would'nt want to use any shorter of a rod than stock because of the increased rod angle which equals more wear. Supposedly the stock rods are weak and break, but I've never seen it happen except to skis that were hydrolocked first.

I would def not recommend a 3mm shorter rod, way too much rod angle. The rod angle is a bit high even in stock form. Plus it'll throw all your port timing out of wack.

I've had good luck just drilling a hole in the top of the rod allowing more oil to get to the wrist pin bearing. I also once had a completly stock crankshaft taken and lightened the rods and shot peened them. No real noticeable difference but it was trued better than they come from the fatory so it gave me some peace of mind.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    I've never heard of a stock rod failing either, only on an engine that has been hydrolocked. And it really wasn't the rod, just the big-end bearings.

The weak link in 951's turning over 7500 is the counterbalance shaft bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    I've never heard of a stock rod failing either, only on an engine that has been hydrolocked. And it really wasn't the rod, just the big-end bearings.

The weak link in 951's turning over 7500 is the counterbalance shaft bearings.
    Does any one know how many needle bearings are supposed to be in the wrist pins of a 00' 951 motor? Thanks in advance!
    Dave

HOnda mke two rods as you have said. They make a +4 mm and -1MM rod.

If you use stock pistons the top of the small end rod width will need to be machined down.

What else do you wnat to know?

Dan

What else do I want to know?

A. Is the CR500 rod the one to go with?

B. Do I have to use an OEM Rod or can it be aftermarket?

C. If I use the longer rod, where can I find the necessary cylinder spacer?

D. Where can I find the honda rods to use?

ThankS!

If you are looking for a stronger rod I would go with the honda rod.

I would use oem honda as they build a VERY nice rod. IF you are looking for even more strength I would get them shot peened.

If you are not building a stroker motor I would use the shorter version. You can machine the base of the cylinder or the top of the cases.

Most crank shops can get you the parts that are needed.

You can pick up the Honda rods for 230 shipped online... if you need the name of the shop, let me know I don't have it in front of me right now.

I've read that 144 gives a tad bit better angle, vs. the 139. Also read that both will do the job. I like the 144 for my set up, because it eliminates the base gasket vs. changing a cylinders original specs.

Crank works does the conversion for under 150 I think...... mine is in the works right now.

+1
    2 videos of those honda rods on a miller phase 3 1050 ...awesome video i shot !
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=sYjhhB_96EM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KQrT1D_tZ3Y

enjoy !

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    That is hilarious!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information