97 SLTX drive coupler remove

I am wanting to remove drive coupler on my 1050 while moter in in ski.I am thinking of putting some rope or something in PTO cylinder and trying to undo.Is there any chance that I will bend conrod.I am wanting to replace the rear seal as it is a bit rusty.Any Ideas.Thanks

+1
    Rope in cyl works, Beerdart says he just flips the head and has the same effect, and I have a special piece of oak trim that's sized to fit my cyl's. Just unbolt head, slip in wood, and reattach head. Never heard of anyone bending a conrod doing this. I'd be more worried about throwing crank out of index than bending anything, and even that doesn't appear to be an issue.

I would only imagine you'd bend a conrod if you tried to start motor with rope/head/wood still inside......

Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    RI'd be more worried about throwing crank out of index than bending anything, and even that doesn't appear to be an issue.
    As long as the rope is in the PTO cylinder, it is physically impossible to throw the crank out of index when removing the coupler. The PTO end on the crankshaft is part of the PTO crank wheel, so there can be no slip. Hope that makes sense. Same thing goes for removing the flywheel...as long as there is rope in the MAG cylinder, you'll be fine.

+1
    Hi bmill, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome

I am also needing to know if I am successful in removing the coupler will I be able to change the rear seal.I see it has a removeable clip.will it pull out.I would just like to say thanks to all it is good to be able to get some answers to Questions.Its a bit hard in New Zealand to find any answers.Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    As long as the rope is in the PTO cylinder, it is physically impossible to throw the crank out of index when removing the coupler. The PTO end on the crankshaft is part of the PTO crank wheel, so there can be no slip. Hope that makes sense. Same thing goes for removing the flywheel...as long as there is rope in the MAG cylinder, you'll be fine.
    Ahh, gotcha, I never pressed a crank apart so I don't know what pieces press into what. Sounds like you're saying the last 2 webs (and with it the conrod journal) are a one-piece assembly, so then I could see why it's impossible to tweak a crank, as long as you put the head/rope/wood in the cylinder closest to where you're wrenching.

Thanks for the insight!

Always wanted to learn how to true a crank, can anybody do a "crank trueing for dummies" post? I've got a lathe with live centers to use as a stand, and a dial indicator, I just need some guidance! (I've got a small pile of semi-junk cranks from Polari and Kawasuckys that just need a bearing replaced here or there)

Michael

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1

Talking Got Love The Search Feature

Thread Information