Boarding Step Question (95' XP)

Hey Guy's I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if I posted in the wrong section or this question has been asked.

I recently bought my first ski a 95' XP as a project. I finally got it going (at the end of the season) I had it out a couple times and worked some bugs out of it. Anyway How do you get on these things in the water? I was wondering if there is a step I could install and if it would possibly help.. I'm a larger rider the most... So it would have to be pretty strong.. I can get on it at the ramp no problem but can't figure how to get on it when I'm out in the middle of the water. Thanks for the help!

-=Rick

I'll amit its a bit of a bear to get up on those. Only because I own one. But if you want a step. Here you go

http://www.aquaperformance.com/watercraftsteps.html

+1
    Rick,
    For us big guys getting on the old ski's just flat out sucks until you get the hang of it.
    Tilt the ski toward the left (literly lay it in the water sideways) and put your left foot/knee up in the tray. Start the ski and grab a fist full of throttle as your turning hard right (trying to turn hard right anyway).
    Once you master it you'll be able to toss yourself right back up.
    The best time to practice is now, at the end of the season because there won't be many people on the water right now to see you actin' like a fool...
    It will take some time and you will feel like a total moron.....trust me...
    Good Luck
    Doug

+1
    Well for some of us, it's a tad bigger problem than that. I can do the left/right maneuver, but my left knee hurts so badly afterwards, that is usually the end of my day. Having a step on a smaller ski is very helpful. Basically, for me to get up on a small ski without a step, means I thrust down HARD on the back of the ski, sky'ing the ski, and then as the ski is flipping sideways backwards, I'm running up the ski to keep it down. It's not fun, and it's not easy.

A step on a small ski is very useful for some of us, less than able.

Thanks for the ideas guys! I've only had this ski out twice.. I'm probably done for the year with it. At first to get on at the dock, I had my fiance hold the right side and I would step on the left and get on... the second time out I figured out how to get on in shallow water by putting my right leg over and getting on as i drifted out from shore and then started it up.. what a blast of course my exhaust had loosened up and I started taking on water again (the first time out I found the inlet hose from the pump to motor was off) that kinda cut my riding time short... I just bought the ski as a project with a blown motor and found a local rebuilder to rebuild the motor, of course found other things I needed ect along the way.. but I love this thing!

Another question how much weight can these steps hold? Just trying to figure if it's worth the 160+ bucks if it's not really strong enough..
    -=Rick

BTW If you fall off could you just start it back up hang on the side and cruise back to shore with it? does anyone do this to get back on?
    -=Rick

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VetteTech81 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas guys! I've only had this ski out twice.. I'm probably done for the year with it. At first to get on at the dock, I had my fiance hold the right side and I would step on the left and get on... the second time out I figured out how to get on in shallow water by putting my right leg over and getting on as i drifted out from shore and then started it up.. what a blast of course my exhaust had loosened up and I started taking on water again (the first time out I found the inlet hose from the pump to motor was off) that kinda cut my riding time short... I just bought the ski as a project with a blown motor and found a local rebuilder to rebuild the motor, of course found other things I needed ect along the way.. but I love this thing!

Another question how much weight can these steps hold? Just trying to figure if it's worth the 160+ bucks if it's not really strong enough..
    -=Rick
    The steps are PLENTY strong. No worries.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VetteTech81 View Post
    BTW If you fall off could you just start it back up hang on the side and cruise back to shore with it? does anyone do this to get back on?
    -=Rick
    You could try it I guess, but if your going to do that just try throwing your leg up into the tray and grabbing a fist full of throttle.
    If my big 280lb fat arse can do it I'll bet you can. It takes a little time to master.
    Pick up an inexpensive wetsuit, there's still plenty of good riding days left.
    Have fun!
    Doug

Thread Information