+1

Anyone here lift weights????

I am looking for a good program....Here is my current one....

Monday. [back @ biceps]
    Tuesday [shoulders]
    Wednesday [legs]
    Thursday [ off ]
    Friday [ off ]
    Saturday [chest and triceps]
    Sunday [legs]

then in the summer we keep the same pattern but change the rotation so that tuesday is chest and tris

+1
    I do but I am fairly new to it.
    Bling is the guy to talk to. He is very serious about working out.

Depends if you are training for strength or for getting into shape and losing some bodyfat. If it's the latter, I would do in this order
    * Upper body
    * Cardio
    * Lower body
    * Cardio
    * Upper Body
    * Cardio
    Sunday *Day Off
    * Lower Body
    * Cardio
    * Upper Body
    * Cardio
    * Lower Body
    * Cardio

The last day of cardio could be optional.
    Reps for each exercise should be:
    12, 10, 8, 6
    Increasing in weight each set so that you reach failure during each set
    I would do 3 sets of each exercise
    Your total work out shouldn't last more then 45mins and you should only wait 1 minute in between reps.
    Your cardio should last 20 mins and you should try to cycle your heartrate so that you start out easy and slowly build up to near exhaustion then slow down to recover. If you were do this following the above system you would cycle your heart rate 4-5x

Eat more meals (6) but smaller servings, enough to feel satisfied.
    Eat Clean and enjoy whatever you want on Sunday.

Hope this helps and if anyone has some more to add have at er'

Yuji

+1
    4 days a week,,took me years to figure out what to do, when to do it,,,and how NOT to be in the gym longer than 1 hr.
    Monday- legs and lower back (no one does legs on Monday so every machine and squat rack is open) If you don`t do squats you won`t grow, PERIOD,,out of the hundreds of thousands of squats I`ve done I hated everyone.
    Tuesday- shoulders and traps (no longer than 30 secs between sets)
    wed- off (abs and calves if you feel like it)
    thurs- back and bi`s
    fri- chest and tri`s (this would be the day to do abs)

Remember (extremely important): Protien 1 hr before you work out
    and carbs (75- 100g) within 45 mins after workout. I try for within 30 mins. Ultra fuel has 100g of complex carbs. You`d have to eat a pot of spaghetti for that. But you can always drink something.

I`ve got osteolysis in both shoulders and haven`t been able to flat bench for about 10 years now. Caused by repetative movements. cartlidge worn away. Been puttin off surgery for that long as well.

Sets are 3, reps are 10 first set, 8 second set and 4 for the last set. No more than six. If you can do six,,,your not using enough weight.

Use to do twice a day. That was a full time job. Never did juice but shot quite a few with it. I don`t recommend it.

*** Sorry forgot to mention,,,never , ever, workout the same muscle the next day!*****
    This is why you group them. ie: chest and tri`s for example. When doing chest, you use your tri`s. Recovery is as important as the workout.
    Take a Vitamin everyday. I use Centrum. And don`t get discouraged. The average person can only gain 4 pds of muscle per month if all the stars and planets align. Don`t let anyone tell you different or they are lying to you or shooting juice. I`ve gone through all my Biologies, Chemistry and A&P 1&2. This means I once knew a lil something about the human body.

Everyone is different to an extent but my system will start getting you strong and growing. Its opposite (days) on purpose so I could use equipment. And your upper body will be pumped for the weekend.

Now just watch the blowholes that don`t do legs and just upperbody. They will look retarded. Trust me, every gym has a few blowholes. There will even be one doing juice. He`ll have a huge upperbody and bird legs. Use to laugh my ass off at them. DON`T BE A BLOWHOLE!

+1
    I used to lift quite a bit- there are more opinions on this than there are A** holes, but I know of quite a few that would tell you that 7 days a week is too much... do not underestimate recovery time.

Remember that recovery is systemic- just because you change body parts and do legs doesn't mean that your chest isn't being cheated out of recovery time.

Another guy gave me some good advice on different lifting programs- "The best program is one that you will actually do". The greatest program in the world won't do squat if you don't get in the gym and get it done...

+1
    Also doesn't hurt to change things up and keep them interesting- pull different workouts out of magazines or off of 4-tec forum members and give them a shot for a couple weeks- try different exercises to keep those muscles guessing and keep yourself interested.

Couldn't agree more vman and Hoss

Recovery time is very important and eating proper with lots of protein and proper timing as hoss and vman mentioned

I found five days a week to be just right for me...like my weekends too much

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    I always had it explained to me to do your workouts in opposition (ie. work out your chest and back on the same day...work out the front and back of your arms on the same day, the front and back of your legs on the same day, etc...) and that you should be just as strong across muscle categories (ie back as strong as chest, etc...)

As far as a program depends on what you want...If you're looking for strength building this is what we do:

First off we warm up thoroughly as our program would be very hard on you if not really warmed up...

1st set - 2 reps of 95% of your max
    2nd set - 4 reps of 90% of your max
    3rd set - 6 reps of 85% of your max
    4th set - 8 reps of 80% of your max
    5th set 10 reps of 75% of your max

This is important because realize weights is just as much mental as physical...Doing big weight on your first set at a low rep (and while you're fresh on those muscles and warmed up) allows you to "feel" more confident about the weight and you'll be amazed how fast your weight goes up...

Doing this we regularly jump 40-60 pounds max over the 3 months we do this (and realize we're not small lifters...my partner and I are both well up there as far as what we lift for workout...most of our "lighter" lifting starts with 3 plates on each side...)

We work out 4 days a week (alternate upper and lower) and then take middle day and then 2 days off...The first day of uppers we might do chest and back at these high levels and the next time we do uppers we'll do arms and shoulders at the above described level while going easier on the stuff we worked hard on the first day (take 15% off the ratios)

Then for the next 3 months we drop our weights way, way down and do reps to exhaustion...This generally trims us up from the gaining phase but gets us more defined...We'll usually lose 30ish lbs on all our max's over this time and then build them back up on the next "gain" phase...We're both kind of past that point where we're trying to continue getting stronger as we've both kind of hit the max levels are particular bodies can safely sustain (not tearing muscles, ligaments, joints, bones, etc...)

i was amazed at how well this program worked after we tried it...Using this program we've both been the strongest we've ever been and have had less lifting related injuries...

It's kind of hard to explain in a post but if it's something you're interested in let me know and I can try to figure out a better way to define the program for you (phone call, email, etc...)

+1
    Hoss is right about those squats too- a staple exercise. Deadlifts are another example of this... they will get you big.

I lift for strength PERIOD! I do running, sprints, and swimming for Cardio, and thats how it should be...

I have gained about 20 pounds of muscle in about 6 months of this program...I weighed 257 and now weigh about 278...here is my program..if you do it right, for the first month after you get done you will feel like killing yourself because you will be thuroughly exhausted...just an FYI.

First off I do this workout every Mon, Wed and Friday...No changes...except every other Wed. I take off...because now it is closer to season and I am starting to run more and dont want to completely drain myself, and start to loose muscle....

Here is the workout.

You do the main exercise and IMMEDIATLY AFTER finishing go and do the smaller exercise(listed below main) You also hold each rep of the smaller exercise for 5 secs ( a FULL 5 secs one one thousand, two one thousand....)

(Main) Squat- 2 x 10
    (smaller) Leg extension 2 x 10
    (so for this you would do a set of squat Immeditaly go to leg extension and then you can take a 30 sec to a min break, then go back to squat do your set and then immediatly go to leg extension for your final set)

Bench- 2 x 10
    Dumbell Fly press- 2x 10

Dead Lift- 2 x 5
    Hang Cleans- 2 x 5

Curls- 2 x 10
    Incline curls 2 x10

Triceps (machine) 2 x 10
    Overhead Triceps 2 x 10

Seated rows (machine) 2 x10
    Overhead pulls 2 x 10

Shrugs 2 x 10
    Shoulder raise ( side and front) 2 x 10

I also throw in a couple sets of forearm curls

To raise the weight you must get 12 reps your first set and 12 reps your second rep of your Main work out...the same with the smaller one...

So lets say you get 12 reps first set and only 11 second then guess what you stay at the same weight and try harder next time!

Try to get the entire workout done in UNDER ONE HOUR! Your first couple weeks it is garunteed that you will not get under an hour, If you do you are a freaking beast!

When doing cardio do it VERY INTENSLY but for no more than 20 mins...after that you body starts breaking down muscle for energy!

Eating is also a big part of an exercise program...

Stay away from carbonated beverages! If you are feeling an rge for pop drink SPrite, 7 up, Seirra Mist something NON CARBONATED!!!

And DO NOT go on one of these low carb diets! You will gain no muscle by doing this!!!!!!!!

Try and eat 6-8 meals a day, to keep your energy up and you metabolisim going!

any question feel free to drop me a PM or post up a question and I will answer it. Good Luck!

Thread Information