RAM AIR MOD... hopefully.

Let me start this thread by stating that I am a first time 250 owner and only 4 months into this. I may be new to the 250, but I do consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined. This past weekend I decided I would try to do the RAM AIR mod. that SKIP has on his website. By the way, the instructions were spot on and extremely helpful, as I expected them to be. Skip, great stuff, thanks. I realized my problem when I was removing the hood, and realized that every screw that I removed was held down by another screw... seriously. Kawasaki is so freakin ridiculous. There are so many redundant screws on this thing. I finally removed the hood(all three pieces of it), did the mod. which happened to be the easiest part of the experience, and now I am putting it back together and I am having an extremely hard time getting any of the pieces back together. It's almost as if once you remove the screw they weren't made to go back in. I know this sounds stupid, but I am no dumbass... at least i didn't think so, and I am starting to get freakin' frustrated. Is this just an elbow grease issue or is there a secret shortcut or method... besides taking industrial strength silicone to the whole hood and forgetting the whole screw issue! Any help is appreciated in advance.

I did find it a little harder to go back together than I thought it would be. Just take your time and be patient.

I had to put it back together on a big open floor with a couple of large beach towels (clean ones; don't pick up grit on the side facing your hood or it will scratch).

Also, you should "re-spring" the clips so that they hold tight.

Take your time and you might want to use some threadlocker to keep the screws from vibrating out..

Best,
    LB

Took me 5 min to take it apart and an hour putting it back. A whole lot of cussing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Skips313 View Post
    Took me 5 min to take it apart and an hour putting it back. A whole lot of cussing too.
    Well put. Has anyone put the R&D Cool Air filters on with the RAM AIR. The way I understand it is they are supposed to compliment each other.

Quote Originally Posted by saltlifejax View Post
    Well put. Has anyone put the R&D Cool Air filters on with the RAM AIR. The way I understand it is they are supposed to compliment each other.

Well it could but personally dought it would effect the ram air as the ram mod was to have more air availible to the vent tubes under the cluster. The other filter would be more as a hot air escape area.

Quote Originally Posted by Skips313 View Post
    Well it could but personally dought it would effect the ram air as the ram mod was to have more air availible to the vent tubes under the cluster. The other filter would be more as a hot air escape area.
    That's my experience Skip; I do a lot of stop-go sometimes and my ass was getting hot right through the seat. The cool air kit stopped that instantly; so ambient temps in the engine compartment must have dropped big time..

LB

Quote Originally Posted by lordblack View Post
    That's my experience Skip; I do a lot of stop-go sometimes and my ass was getting hot right through the seat. The cool air kit stopped that instantly; so ambient temps in the engine compartment must have dropped big time..

LB
    LB, regarding the hot-ass syndrome, that's good to know. It was killing me too. I wouldn't mind putting one of those bilge blowers or heat extractors on the rear air tubes. If you have done that i would like to see how that helps as well.

Thread Information