Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Keeping it quiet

I'm going to install an intercooler over the winter months but it appears I need to modify the exhaust unless I use the Rotax intercooler.
    Is the exhaust noticably louder? I've read posts that some had commented on the sound (louder) when the resonator is removed.
    I want to keep it quiet if possible. Why don't more use the Rotax intercooler?
    Thanks to all!

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I'm going to install an intercooler over the winter months but it appears I need to modify the exhaust unless I use the Rotax intercooler.
    Is the exhaust noticably louder? I've read posts that some had commented on the sound (louder) when the resonator is removed.
    I want to keep it quiet if possible. Why don't more use the Rotax intercooler?
    Thanks to all!

Any IC installation, including the Rotax unit, will pretty much require the removal of the resonator. You would have to fully customize the setup if you wish to keep the resonator there...

Yes, the exhaust is very noticably louder, especially when it goes through the stock outlet in the stock location. The pump cavity acts like an organ and amplifies the exhaust, escpecially around 3000 rpm, its deafening for the rider...

Thats why people switch to the thru-hull exhaust, a lot simpler and less clutter in the hull....

The Rotax unit is efficient, but VERY restrictive. Testing has shown it to be twice as restrictive as the OEM unit, and almost 5x's that of the Riva/Piranha....

Thanks Danny! I'll have to use the thru-hull style.
    Many people in the area I ride are very sensitive to PWC noise so I wanted to try to keep it quiet. Thanks for your help.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Thanks Danny! I'll have to use the thru-hull style.
    Many people in the area I ride are very sensitive to PWC noise so I wanted to try to keep it quiet. Thanks for your help.

Just don't mod the muffler and you will be fine...

and don't worry abobut the people in the area you ride, you won't be able to hear them anyway

+1
    actually, thats a really good question..
    i am running piranha intercooler but wanted to keep the OPAS so had to use the stock exhaust outlet... noise is deafening close to the ski.. was trying to figure out whether i could keep the same setup but making it quieter without putting in the resonator...

Running a stage 2 setup but wanting to keep the ski very stock in its appearance

I'll most probably turbo it once the 100hr service comes up and this will take alot of the noise out, save me rebuilding the supercharger as well

How much louder is the thru-hull compared to stock?

+1
    quite a bit louder.. maybe twice as loud????

the good thing with mine is that when i use the "reverse" lever, all noise is gone!!!!!!

its perfect when u want to talk to someone!!! its an adjustable exhaust!!!

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    deafining is a big streach ... no that is huge ...it sounds more like a very mild sport bike exhaust ...lust a low growel ..the new skis are silent 20 yards away... i would honestly say it would be no louder than a stock 2 stroke ski from just a few years ago... go to you tube there are quite a few vids w sound there ...disreguard the big turbo skis and race skis some of those have almost no exhaust sound suppression ...and remember they sound different in the water.. i dont feel it is relavent when they rev them on the trailer ...i had a test pipe at first ..them went to through hull ,,,and i also have opened up my water box and it still isnt obnoxious ... at all just has a presents when you fire it up...i think w just a test pipe you will be fine they are cheap or you can make one as per the current thread and try it before you purchase the intercooler and decide 4 yourself if you dont like it you can simply reinstall the resonator because you dont need to modify anything for a test pipe

+1
    breon,

i was referring to danny's example as that is my setup.. i am not running a through hull exhaust.... the ski isnt that noisy when you are about 20metres from it, but on the ski itself, its prety loud...

+1
    If I'm not mistaken, SleeplessinMS is running 83.3 with a Riva Stage 3 + Rude and using the stock exhaust. He's using an XS intercooler, but managed to cram it in there with the stock resonator.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information