Thread: Oil filter

Oil filter

I have a quick ? is the oil filter cap on the new[2007] GTI 4 stroke fit on one way only. Mine has a bend in it after it went in for it"s 10 hr. check and I can see a part of the o ring but it must not leak oil I think the service guy would have seen it after starting it. It looks like it got bent maybe trying to pry it off very very slight and I can see what looks like the o ring [maybe not] any thoughts thanks.

the cap to the oil filter is a bear to get off.
    The cap filter housing is protected by a dual oring setup.

But would recommend bending it back and or ordering a new one.
    Better yet ask the dealer to replace it
    420610328 OIL FILTER COVER$23.47
    420230920 O-RING $5.97
    420850500 RING-0 $8.73

if you look at the OEM diagrams it is under MAGNETO ASSY. W/ PTO COVER number 25,26,27

man that`s kinda hard to bend, they could have boogered up the lip, if that`s the case then it`s a perfect example of the retards the stealership has working for them if they F`d up the stinkin oil filter housing cap...PR...

I hope they didn`t bend or strip the bolt trying to tighten it up, it`s only 89inlbs...

+1
    i just changed mine today, i alerady have the metal oil filter cover, i noticed that the lip around the top of the cover has a flat spot, exposing the edge of the filter housing. is htat normal? its not exposing the outer o-ring, but i am concerned the upper lip edge of the outer filter canister could corrode there.
    i couldnt find any way to turn the cover to line upwith a flat spot in the housing? do they all have a flat spot? why?

Lextoy thats what mine looks like a flat spot on the cover and it seems there is a flat spot on the filter body maybe it's just normal. anyone please.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselman View Post
    Lextoy thats what mine looks like a flat spot on the cover and it seems there is a flat spot on the filter body maybe it's just normal. anyone please.
    there is a flat area on the side of the oil filter cap, this is normal. If you are refering to something else, post a pic so we can have a look!...PR...

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar
    Yes it's normal for the oil filter housing to have the flat spot on the side and also the cap has the flat spot. You want both flat spots to align with each other when putting the cap back on the housing.

Quote Originally Posted by holdnon72 View Post
    Yes it's normal for the oil filter housing to have the flat spot on the side and also the cap has the flat spot. You want both flat spots to align with each other when putting the cap back on the housing.
    I don`t think I have a flat spot on my GTX, but the PTO cover is new part , atleast I don`t remember seeing a flat spot...PR...

Thanks Guys I think when the service was done thay never aligned the two flat spots. I will take it back and point it out to them this way if the cover is damaged it's there fault.

Thread Information