1997 xp driveshaft frozen..crank is good

I have a 1997 seadoo xp, and over the summer it seized on me..I bought it in to get fixed n they said it would be 2100 to rebuild, I have all the parts and i was looking at the engine and the crankshaft still turns fine n their is oil in the gears..They said that it was the crankshaft that locked up..the reason why this happend was because the oil line to the rotary valve popped off..so their was no oil in the pistons..The pistons have scuffs and gouges all over n burn marks at the top..So is it the pistons that went, n froze up?..Also the drivetrain in the ski itself is frozen as well..but the crank in the engine moves freely..Any suggestions..how much you think it would cost to repair pistons n cylinder casings

+1
    Mike,
    Was the head damaged? Who gave you the estimate?

You need to find out what's wrong with the drive shaft / jet pump FIRST. If the pump needs to be rebuilt the total bill will exceed the value of the ski.

If it's just the top end there is a shop in Central Valley that can bore your cylinders. Depending on how deep the gouges are you will determin what size pistons to buy. I would recommend OEM or Pro-X pistons.

I have a spare long-block I might be willing to sell.
    -long-block: engine, stator, fly wheel, engine support & exhaust manifold. Just add Rotory Valve / carbs and drop it in.

Erin

Hey how are ya Erin, I was hoping to hear from you. To answer your questions, no the head is not damaged at all, as a matter a fact everything seems to be in great shape except for the pistons. The gouges arent that bad, but maybe you could look at it to determine how bad they are...The pump is fine, nothing is wqrong cuz we took it off that first day n its fine..The drivetrain is locked up still seems like where it goes below the gas tank (where its impossible to reach)..im not positive why...but the pump is good, the drive train is still stuck..I have the engine outta the ski and everything is apart..Thats how I determined the pistons were completely shot. if you could connect me with the shop in central valley..or we could meet up one weekend and go..Im up at college during the week, but i will come back any weekend..Let me know what you think..and if you think by the description if the infamous yellow seadoo will ever see water again...thanks alot

Mike

How much for the block just incase i might need it..whats the size of the motor?..would you be willing to help with installation if I paid you for the troubles if I got it?

Mike

Oh and they gave me a list of the parts I "need"..I have it at my house, and they told me it was gonna be 1100 to rebuild it..But only the top end needs to be rebuilt..

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The driveshaft carrier bearing under the back cover is what is frozen...there is nothing under the gas tank but shaft. Sounds like all you need is a light hone on the cylinders and two new stock 81.89mm piston assemblies. Before you buy pistons though...take your cylinders and have them miced by a machinist. And after hone, if it is still within wear limit, then you can go back with stock. Otherwise, you will need once overs which are 82.14mm. Make sure your machinist clearances the pistons from the skirt, not the crown.

Ok so the light hone for the cylinders, what exactly does that do, and where am I able to find those, and do you have a cost?..Do i need new bearings for the drivetrain, because that wont free up itself correct?..What type of pistons do you suggest once I get the size would be the best deal..not the most expensive either....thanks alot for your help

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffa17 View Post
    Ok so the light hone for the cylinders, what exactly does that do, and where am I able to find those, and do you have a cost?..Do i need new bearings for the drivetrain, because that wont free up itself correct?..What type of pistons do you suggest once I get the size would be the best deal..not the most expensive either....thanks alot for your help

Mike
    A light hone removes the vertical scratches on your sleeves, which decreases compression because of lack of sealing...and allows for a rough surface for the new rings to seat(seal) to. On the bearing...uh...anytime any bearing seizes it's trash. Anytime. Anywhere. In anything. Next time grease it periodically and it will never fail.

The best deal is the cheapest, and worst quality pistons. The ones that have the reputation for failing. All to save $40 over OEMs. It's your money...it kills me how you guys have your toys and are too cheap to put quality parts back in them...
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 10-21-2007 at 05:20 PM.

Ok..I understand, so how much and where can I pick up a light hone?..So when i replace the bearing on the drivetrain, it should spin freely again correct?..I was just wondering the price range im looking at for new pistons..I do want quality, and will spend the extra money for quality parts...Thanks for your input and time

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Before you buy pistons though...take your cylinders and have them miced by a machinist.
    That means your local machine shop. Anyone that builds engines. Ask in the classifieds on who has SD parts at a reasonable cost...there are many out there.

Thread Information