Compressor Surge Question...Please Help!

Have an "05" RXP that i installed an external intercooler on, and every since then I've been experiencing a strange noise that sounds like a cross between a chirp and an exhaust leak on an automobile. Only hear it when you pin the throttle quickly or let off quickly. This led me to think a coupler was leaking...but I've checked everything for pressure leaks. Then i heard the same sound on a friend's RXP that also had an external intercooler. So, my question is...is this compressor surge that I'm hearing? If it is, can you do anything to eliminate it. (BOV) maybe? And why doesn't the factory set-up make this noise? If anyone out there can expand on this for me, it would be much appreciated...Thanks.

THEE 6'5" 235pd rough rider doc212121's Avatar
    Thats usually the sound of a BOV and that would be it, usually a quick pin or let up of the throttle in any forced induction setup will give you a sound like that if you have some exhaust, intake work done. It sounds normal, and just the SC releasing pressure, get a BOV if your worried.

+1
    Hi left coast girl, that is the sound of your supercharger clutch coming into play. It's perfectly normal. If you use the metal washers, and i hope you are, the sound is more pronounced.

Welcome to the forum!

+1
    BTW, compressor surge is a faint "fluttering" sound at part throttle when using a large supercharger. Most people wouldn't even notice the sound.

Yes, I already have metal washers. But why is it that you don't hear this noise at all with the stock set-up, yet it's very pronounced with an external intercooler. Would a BOV help quiet it down, or is the BOV's purpose only to help ease the wear and tear on the washers.

+1
    That sound is perfectly normal its the air when the throtle is closed backing up to the charger and you can hear it thru the intake filter. All skis with an exsternal ic make this noise

Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by left coast girl View Post
    Yes, I already have metal washers. But why is it that you don't hear this noise at all with the stock set-up, yet it's very pronounced with an external inter-cooler. Would a BOV help quiet it down, or is the BOV's purpose only to help ease the wear and tear on the washers.
    The consensus is a BOV would probably make it worse as the noise you are hearing is the SC overrunning and a BOV would allow it to overrun easier. Although, with the sound a BOV makes, you prolly wouldn't hear the washer chirp....

Most likely the reason you hear it louder now is because the stock internal IC is inside the manifold, and the pipes are all rubber going from the SC to the manifold, so you don't hear the sound as much. The external IC can kinda' amplify some sounds....

If you are hearing that noise too often, you might want to check the slip of your SC clutch.

THEE 6'5" 235pd rough rider doc212121's Avatar
    More RPM, more air flow, equals the noise. If you put a 3 or 4 inch air intake kit, or thru hull youll notice the blower spinning more freely and louder. Its a badass sound enjoy it, my blown Camaro SS sounds like a fighter jet under boost, I love it! Your worrying about nothing if you check your charger and the clutches are good.

Why is this the frist I have heard about this ?
    I thougt I was the only one, with this norse.
    So why?
    Did I not get my ear plugs, . Thay must of been left out of the box,
    When my IC was ship, . Ha Ha

Thread Information