someone looking to buy a PWC

I posted it here because I couldnt find a more relevant forum for it. Im going to try and buy a PWC at some point in the next few months, and im looking to do my homework before i make the purchase. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what types of models i should look at? Im a new rider, have never owned one, im basically looking for a fairly safe one that a new rider could pick up and learn with, id like it to move fast if possible but im not looking too much at speed right now, if i could get an affordable one that maybe is on the slower side that would be fine for now, it needs to be a 2 seater for me and my GF. Also, preferably the cheapest one that fits these requirements. Any recomendations?

Another thing, what are some places that sell these types of things in the tampa bay area, for anyone who lives here?

I have found a two seater really isn't ideal for two people, you need a three seater. Since you posted in the Seadoo forum, a basic Seadoo you might like is a GTI SE 155hp. It is a three seater. New it goes for 9300 at a dealer I believe. It will do around 59 MPH.

Welcome to the Board!.
    I was just going to reccommend that from all the things I`ve been hearing. If you want a better reliable SeaDoo then the NA 130 or 155HP GTI, GTI SE is what you might like...PR...

http://www.sea-doo.com/en-US/Product...reation/GTISE/

+1
    Get a NA 155hp GTX. Sturdy, sea worthy hull, good dependable engine with decent fuel mileage. The small difference in price over the 155 hp GTI gets you twice the boat ! Lots of good used ones for sale too !

Richard

Hey thanks for the help everyone has given me. I have another question, if im going to be riding almost solely in salt water, how important is the closed loop cooling system? Also, how old of a PWC should i consider getting? Im seeing them on craigslist ranging anywhere from 1995 to 2007, is a 95 PWC too old? Also, how many hours is considered too many? How long do they go before you start to get problems?

[quote=DontPushMe;436930]Hey thanks for the help everyone has given me. I have another question, if im going to be riding almost solely in salt water, how important is the closed loop cooling system? Some prefer closed loop cooling, others prefer not to worry about another system. If you go open loop and flush correctly and after every ride you should be fine.Also, how old of a PWC should i consider getting? Im seeing them on craigslist ranging anywhere from 1995 to 2007, is a 95 PWC too old? If it were me, I`d say a 95 is to old compared to whats out there. I would start with an 04 model. You have to evealuate the ski to determine how many hours is to many. On the 4-tecs I`d say you will see anywhere from 60-130 on used machines at a decent price. I`ve heard that the 4-tec can go hundreds of hours if you perform great maintanance schedules.Also, how many hours is considered too many? I personally would shy away from something older than 200 hours unless it is immaculate and has service records, and it was a smokin` deal. How long do they go before you start to get problems? You can have a problem with any ski from day "one"... [/quote]

hope this helps...
    if your going used, check everything out, pump, engine sound, driveshaft seal for leakage, hull condition etc...PR...

[quote=Pale Rider;436981]
    Quote Originally Posted by DontPushMe View Post
    Hey thanks for the help everyone has given me. I have another question, if im going to be riding almost solely in salt water, how important is the closed loop cooling system? Some prefer closed loop cooling, others prefer not to worry about another system. If you go open loop and flush correctly and after every ride you should be fine.Also, how old of a PWC should i consider getting? Im seeing them on craigslist ranging anywhere from 1995 to 2007, is a 95 PWC too old? If it were me, I`d say a 95 is to old compared to whats out there. I would start with an 04 model. You have to evealuate the ski to determine how many hours is to many. On the 4-tecs I`d say you will see anywhere from 60-130 on used machines at a decent price. I`ve heard that the 4-tec can go hundreds of hours if you perform great maintanance schedules.Also, how many hours is considered too many? I personally would shy away from something older than 200 hours unless it is immaculate and has service records, and it was a smokin` deal. How long do they go before you start to get problems? You can have a problem with any ski from day "one"... [/quote]

hope this helps...
    if your going used, check everything out, pump, engine sound, driveshaft seal for leakage, hull condition etc...PR...
    Thanks for the help. Is there a place that would give me an overview of what i should be looking for with these things if i buy used? Obviously i have 0 experience with whats under the engine of a jet ski. I was sorta planning on just giving it a test drive and then making my decision.

Another question, how do you flush out an open loop cooling system?

[quote=DontPushMe;437730]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Thanks for the help. Is there a place that would give me an overview of what i should be looking for with these things if i buy used? Obviously i have 0 experience with whats under the engine of a jet ski. I was sorta planning on just giving it a test drive and then making my decision.

Another question, how do you flush out an open loop cooling system?
    The best advice I can give, find out all you can, ask alot of questions, take notes, then come here on the boards and ask away! Many of us here will help you out!.

yes, open loop or sea-water cooled engines have a hose connection to flush... good luck with your search!...

we also have a 2 stroke section if you find a 2 stroke ski that you like...PR...

+1
    [quote=Pale Rider;437795]
    Quote Originally Posted by DontPushMe View Post
    The best advice I can give, find out all you can, ask alot of questions, take notes, then come here on the boards and ask away! Many of us here will help you out!.

yes, open loop or sea-water cooled engines have a hose connection to flush... good luck with your search!...

we also have a 2 stroke section if you find a 2 stroke ski that you like...PR...
    its just PERSONAL preference on my part but i like ALL the STROKES i can get when i go to RIDE!

+1
    DontPushMe, if you want the cheapest one you may want a pre-owned machine, you can save a lot and still get a nice one because many people buy these things, throw them in the garage and rarely use them... here's my 2 cents on what you need to look for:

1. Get a 4 stroke
    Two strokes are dinosaurs and you will love the dependable starts and fuel economy of the 4 stroke—the fish in the water will love it too (less unburned fuel in the water).

2. Still under factory warranty
    Even if only a few weeks left—you can still go to the dealer and buy the extended warranty from manufacturer (third party warranties can be pricey after the factory warranty expires).

3. Three seater
    As the previous reply indicated—a two seater is more like a 1 seater—unless you and your GF are dwarfs, you will appreciate the extra stability and your passenger will too.

4. Test drive as many models as possible before buying.
    There are differences, each manufacturer has strong and weak points.
    Good luck!

Thread Information