Is my impeller gonna fall off?

Installed new Seadoo 267000115 impeller and wear ring yesterday on my 02 4tec. Old prop had waterproof grease on the drive shaft splines and on the impeller shaft threads. It was on good and tight. I put waterproof grease on both splines and threads on new prop and cranked down tight with a 2' long pipe on the 12mm allen wrench. Since I have an allen wrench and not a socket I don't have a way to use my torque wrench. Last night I read the threads about impellers falling off so today I called the local Seadoo dealer and talked to a tech that said he's been doing this stuff for 30 yrs and never put locktite on the prop threads. He has BROKEN many impeller shafts over the years because of corrosion not allowing the prop to come loose. He uses waterproof grease to avoid corrosion and makes sure the prop is torqued good and tight. He said if you don't use grease the odds of breaking something when you go to take it off are a lot greater than using grease and having the impeller come loose. He's not convinced that 1 drop of blue locktite is enough to prevent corrosion in the threads which is the main problem he has seen over the years. Should I leave it alone or pull it apart, remove the grease from the threads and put a drop of locktite on them. What do you guys think?

Lee, alot of us here use anti seize on the prop threads, and coat the shaft spilnes with a very good water resistant grease.

Autozone, advanced auto parts and pep-boys sells the 12mm socket...PR...

Thanks PR. I got a set of 12, 14 and 17mm allen sockets at Autozone for $8. Pulled it apart (prop was still on tight after an hour of riding today) loosened with a breaker bar and then torqued it to 100 ft-lb. Used the waterproof grease on both threads and spline. Noticed that my brand new prop has cut into my new wear ring a little bit mostly in one area. Is that normal?

+1
    A shop that fixed rock damage to my pump used red loctite on mine. A few years later I sent the 03 gtx/sc plastic pump to riva for an upgrade to metal, they couldn't get the impeller of, even heating the old one to temps high enough to melt the plastic. I ended up having to buy a new solas impeller.

Now I don't use any loctite on my impeller.
    Last edited by MikeTrin; 10-20-2007 at 08:52 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    ... Noticed that my brand new prop has cut into my new wear ring a little bit mostly in one area. Is that normal?
    Is that pump plastic? I can't remeber, but I do know my 03 gtx/sc was plastic and I has odd wear on the wear ring like you described, so I upgraded to a metal pump. It was warped.

Yes, the pump housing is plastic. I pulled the old wear ring out of the trash and set it on top of the new one installed in the pump. Both wear rings show wear in the same area which makes sense if there is a slight misalignment between the impeller shaft and pump housing. It's enough to see and feel a little step if you run your finger between the worn and unworn area. It's maybe a couple thousandths of an inch. Glad I didn't try to install a stainless wear ring as it would have messed up my new impeller when it rubbed against it. As it is now the impeller has machined the wear ring so it will work without doing any damage (to the impeller).

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    Thanks PR. I got a set of 12, 14 and 17mm allen sockets at Autozone for $8. Pulled it apart (prop was still on tight after an hour of riding today) loosened with a breaker bar and then torqued it to 100 ft-lb. Used the waterproof grease on both threads and spline. Noticed that my brand new prop has cut into my new wear ring a little bit mostly in one area. Is that normal?
    yes, the prop etching into the new wear ring is normal.

, I prolly have the same exact set from autozone!

is that the torque spec for your ski?

yeah, my GTX SC prop is only 59ftlbs...

next time try and use antiseize on the threads, it actually sticks to the surfaces better than grease...PR...

The manual for the 02 NA 4tecs calls for 92 ft-lb but figured I'd make it an even 100. I wonder if the 59 in your manual is a misprint? Maybe the tech writer was dyslexic and meant to write 95 ? Could the lower torque spec be why some folks have lost their props? There can't be that much difference between the 2 props. I wish we could get an expert in here to comment......

Thread Information