Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hull Delam & Cracks: A new thought

Guys- I've been reading about hull delamination on the 2004 and newer RXP/RXT's. We've had our 2007 Wake Editions, each over a 100hours, since June of this year. During that time, they've spent maybe 2-3weeks on the trailer out of the water. 90% of the time they've been tied up to the dock at my gf's house. They have never even seen fresh water. We ride them in fairly rough pacific ocean water and you can't help but get airborne on the swells we have here. So far, no delam or cracks? I figured with them spending so much time in the water, we'd have had problem by now.

This brings me to new thought..unlike us I asssume most people don't have a dock behind their house...most people's RXP/RXT spend 90% of the time riding around on a trailer. The vast majority of the Sea doo's other there spend many hours bouncing across the freeway on those long road trips to the lake.

Could the stress damage is actually be happening on the trailer not on the water?

It would seem to me that 20-30 hours of trailer time would be harder on the ski as that same time in the water. Especially considering that the full weight of the ski is supported on a much smaller surface area on the trailer than when on the water?

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Fly'n Dutchman; 10-20-2007 at 11:31 PM.

+1
    Honestly I haven't read much on the delam though I've heard about it. I did have a chip on the topside of my hull near the foot rail and I just put black duct tape over it till the season ended as it was only a month left. During that short month a much larger area began to spider crack and it ended up costing $1800 to fix. In fact I saw a guy who had a ski for sale on eBay that had not one but two pretty good sized chips off the gel coat. I had a floating dock that I'd ride up on and never beached it. I'm wondering if this happens more to people that don't live on the water or have a place to tie off and they beach the underside on rocks. Any contact underneath can't be good and if that gel coat integrity gets diminished then that's when I'd suspect it goes from bad to worse and then delaminates. Just my opinion.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rx4pain View Post
    Honestly I haven't read much on the delam though I've heard about it. I did have a chip on the topside of my hull near the foot rail and I just put black duct tape over it till the season ended as it was only a month left. During that short month a much larger area began to spider crack and it ended up costing $1800 to fix. In fact I saw a guy who had a ski for sale on eBay that had not one but two pretty good sized chips off the gel coat. I had a floating dock that I'd ride up on and never beached it. I'm wondering if this happens more to people that don't live on the water or have a place to tie off and they beach the underside on rocks. Any contact underneath can't be good and if that gel coat integrity gets diminished then that's when I'd suspect it goes from bad to worse and then delaminates. Just my opinion.
    You really think bunk contact contributes to the delam issue?

I have a '04 RXP and a '05 RXT both on trailer since new. Thirty min. to and from the river and stored in garage all the time. The RXP has been pulled to Ohio from way upstate NY here at Fort drum and back and both have traveled to Florida and back with no issues. Yes I have bunk scratches on both but that is normal. I have not had any issues with either of my skis and I ride in some rough stuff up here I think I spend more time out of the water than being hooked up even running at 35mph. My wifes RXT does better and some days I wished i had it. But as far as the delamination goes nothing here that would show signs of that and we love to ride.

Gary

+1
    Actually, I read someware thats jetskis should not be kept in the water for extended periods of time. someting about the gelcoat absorbing water and such.

Not saying its fact, but unlike boats, PWC's were not designed to stay in the water all the time.

+1
    Fly'n Dutchman, I think your Wake Editions are basically an RXT hull or pretty close... did you see an RXT on this forum with delam?
    I believe I have only seen RXP's with that issue on here, not sure tho...

yoyamma,

Jetskibill's hull delammed...he runs a fast rxt.

+1

Hey guys

fresh out of school, I spent a little over a year selling boats for sea ray. During that time , I toured the sea ray factory and helped our shop setting up and inspecting boats prior to delivery. I wouldnt call myself a pro or anywhere near it, but I did get a chance to learn alot about QA/QC for boat building, especially fiberglass.

One thing I walked away with knowing..
    While fiberglass can be shaped into anything, it is impossible to initially make a hull without some sort of void or imperfection.

The great thing is these voids or imperfections when seen can be corrected with ease.

Water will eventually make its way into your boat thru the hull, time is the only factor for this to happen.

I guess my point is voids are on all skis, some small, some big, some have already been repaired prior to delivery. Some Voids in fiberglass, including SeaRAys, take time to work their way out of the hull. So even after delivery while your boat may look great, a pocket or hole can form. Its just reality, every mfg experiences it. With SD you get a one year warranty, with Sea Ray you get a ten. it all depends on the MFG and the quality of the product.

As for the bunk theory, I really really doubt it. The bunk supports just about the entire length of the hull (which is excellent). There have been cases where a boat sitting for a long period of time on rollers have caused sinks spots in the hull. But how many people have rollers for their seadoo? And of those guys, how many let it sit for years, because thats what it would take. Have you ever look at a boat in the yard for the winter, you're lucky if you see anything more than three small points of contact holding it up (two jacks in the back and a block of wood in the front).

My take on the delam issues are the unlucky guys just had a void in the hull that was undetected and the void worked its way out. While under way, high speed water then took it from there and separated the gel from the glass matting.

To correct the small few that have had this problem, SD either covers it with a warranty, or changes the building process they have in place .

Im sure there on guys on here with way more glassing experience can confirm how the voids can work out of the hull. Anyways sh*( happens. Its how handle the sh*( that makes the difference. (Hint, hint SD)

+1
    Oh sure, someone says that it's normal to have a void and that could be the cause, but I mention something about possibly chipping the underside by beaching it and it gets dismissed - a void is a void and I'm just offering possibilities. I've heard a lot about this delam and if it's the RXPs that commonly have it well then they are smaller, more nimble and quicker off the waves in jumping thus landing harder having come out of the water further with their lighter weight and shorter hull. The one guy mentioned with the fast RXT having problems would also support this theory of being able to quickly come off a wave and have more air time.

Scratches might be "normal" on the underside but I don't purposefully get them knowing that its going to happen eventually. If you're not careful then you're going to get what you got coming.

+1

rx4pain

I think beaching definitely plays a role too.

Anything that speeds up the process of getting the void to the surface of the hull will contribute to the delam issue. Water, dirt, shit, maybe even driving the ski hard onto the trailer.

In other boats, I've heard it can take up to 5 years for the voids to work their way out. It depends on how thick and what type of resin they are using.

Hey man, if you need a hug, just say the word. lol

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information