Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I think I blew my CDI unit! 91 650

I sure did something stupid! I hooked up my battery boster to my power leads but backwards. I did not realize this until it would not turn over at all. Then I changed it and it turned over but no spark.

I read in the repair manual that reversing the battery connections can damage the regulator/rectifier or CDI unit. Has anyone seen this happen before? How can i check to see if either one of these are damaged?

Believe it or not, I was given the waverunner the other day from a friend. They said it cranks but would only idle. Thats how it was when they got it. So I'm going through everything checking it out. But like I said, with my stupid error, I may have caused more problems!

Thanks

Warren

+1
    Welcome WarrenW!!!!

What year and model ski? first thing to check is the fuse. Then get a manual for your year and model. Post up this info and it will help us help you.

Caution raider fan in the area !!
    +1
    welcome , to green hulk .

I was JUST getting ready to reply again on here that it may be the fuse. I did some more reading that i missed and it mentioned the fuse and also the regulator/rectifier. As far as the model, I'm not exactly sure yet. I know it does not have the oil tank to auto-mix and it does not have reverse as some do for the 91 model. I'll find out more and reply in a few. I'm about to go pull the electic box cover and start with the fuse.

Thanks!

Warren

Its a 91 model with the 650 engine in it.

Fuse is good. Tried it again and no spark. I doubt both plugs are bad but they are a bit dirty so I'm gonna replace both of them today and then go from there.

So if the plugs are replaced and no spark, whats the next part you would check?

Thanks

Warren

+1
    Warren I moved this to the Old School Forum Lots of knowledge on the older units here. I am not familiar with these but I have trouble shot electrical in several skis so I will do what I can to help. I am sure some other's will jump in too. I am going to edit your title to include yr and size this will help.

Like I posted on the other site, try pulling up & wiggling on your lanyard switch. It works every time on my 91 VXR , the connection inside gets dirty/corroded & will crank, but wont start. Also try a fresh, charged battery.

Is it turning over but no spark? Or does it not turn over at all?

ok sorry just reread the post to clarify. I have seen this exact problem. There is a fuse in the electric box near the battery. There is also another fuse in the electric box that holds the cdi. Make sure you have checked all fuses in both locations first. If all fuses are good, try disconecting the red wire comeing from the rectifier and try and start it. With this red wire disconectted the battery will not be chargeing, so dont run it long or you will have a dead battery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information