Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

oil change problems...

changed my oil today, my ski at about 80hrs, about 40 this summer season, couple of problems

1) that tiny oring under the cover is a joke, cut mine while prying up the cover, anyone find a replacemnt for cheeep? mcmaster carr,graingers have orings like 30 for 1 dollar, we need to find an alternative to a 7 dollar o ring!!!!!
    2) my newer aluminum oil filter cover has a flat spot around the outer lip. why? it exposes a small section of the filter housing upper edge, is there some way i should be lining up this flat spot? i could not find a flat spot on the housing. seems to seal fine, but i am worried about that smal exposed edge of the housing sealing lip corroding?
    3) i found 1 or 2 super tiny metal shavings in the old filter, i mean like you could fit both of them inside the eye of a needle at the same time. but they were metal shavings. should i be worried? my SC is working good and my RPM's are strong at 7610-7650, for my 03 GTX SC that is top rpm's.
    so what are the metal shavings from... do you think its normal to see a few tiny tiny ones??
    4)my oil was low , i pumped out about 2.5 quarts. put back in 2.5 quarts. but i had to add about another full quart to get the oil level back inbetween the bends in the dipstick. thats 3.5 quarts of new oil. but i was running the ski about 1 quart low. do these skis burn oil? if it was underfilled all season from the dealership, or got low as the season progressed, did i do any damage running 1 quart low? i did noitce the oil before the change was still on the tip of the dipstick, but well below the bottom bend, i didnt know it was indicating a full quart low!!! just thought it might be slightly low and i could adjust fill after the end of season oil change. well i did adjust the fill level and now its good!! any damage??

5) did i mention that crappy o ring? somebody get a micrometer and measure the diameter of the ring itself, and then the diameter of the cover sealing lip, should be easy to find a replacement, even if the stock oring is flat( i couldnt tell it was so small) a small round oring wil work just as good, this oring doesnt do any of the major sealing in the oil filter setup, just acts as a outer seal on the cover to housing interface. i dont have a micrometer or i would do this myself, i got all the catalogs though!!
    i'll be happy to buy a bag of 20 or thirty and mail them to all my GH.net friends for the cost of a postage stamp!!! 7 bux is BS

+1
    heres a pic of my housing cover, it really has the flat spot as shown on the left side of the pic, anyone know why??
    if someone can paste a copy of this pic into my thread it would be appreciated. sorry for the source of the pic, its the largest one i could find.
    http://www.parkeryamaha.com/index.as...D&ProdID=27468

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    yes there's supposed to be a flat spot... no it has no significance at all.

yes you will find metal in your oil filter, that's what it's there for.

no you didn't do any damage being a little low on oil... it's POSSIBLE you burned some oil over those 40 hours, or it's possible it was low from the get-go.

If it means anything to you, I screwed up my little o-ring on the very top as well, and I pulled it off and put back the cover and ran it. I was going to replace it but was 30 miles from the dealer........

I did not have any oil leak out, and I ran it all day WFO. Looks like the other seal on the cap holds just fine. Maybe the little seal is just a back up or something........

Are they really $7??????? WTF!!

don't pry use a pair of channel locks and wiggle the cap back and forth it will save the o ring and your sanity

+1
    thx guys, that flat spot had me worried. and i agree that little o ring does nothing, except maybe prevent the two peices from corroding together.

sea doo oil

is too expensive........dealer talked me into 10.00 a qt synthetic for my gti 10 hr change................what is a good alternative for me.................thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by likes97 View Post
    is too expensive........dealer talked me into 10.00 a qt synthetic for my gti 10 hr change................what is a good alternative for me.................thanks
    Amsoil, I just got a box containing 4 quarts of Marine 10w-40 and 4 quarts of Motorcycle 10w-40.

800AMSOIL4U is the guy to contact.

+1
    hey 97, do a board search for "RXP oil"
    your ski is not supercharged, so you could use a good synthetic oil.search "N/A oil" n/a is for normally aspirated.
    alot of people use castrol GTX 10w40 for $2 a quart.
    might not be the absolute best , but it is proven and good oil for a really good price.
    next year do your own oil change!!!!!! its really easy!!!!

Alex: this is an easy way to get off the oil filter cap:

find a screw or bolt that has a washer built into it, you know what I mean, something like a hex head self driller. one that the head just fits thru the hole in the top of the cap where the hold down bolt goes. grab the screw/bolt with a pair of vice grips, insert screw/bolt into hole, move screw/bolt over so you catch the edge of hole and gentle pull upwards, pops off everytime without fuss...PR...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information