Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Motivated slacker

Problems with my 95 Speedster

I posted this somewhere else before finding this place, but no one has responded, so let's see if anyone here has any ideas.

-----
    I just got back from the lake and the first attempt at playing with the 95 Speedster I bought last week. For the first 20 minutes or so it was a blast, though a bit brutal. Never saw full throttle for more than a few seconds, planed easily, turned great, everything was fun. Then, pretty much dead center in the middle of the lake, I lost power on both engines. At first I was getting enough RPM to almost get on step, I could feel the stern trying to climb out of the hole, but couldn't quite get there. It got worse from there. Eventually #2 quit entirely and wouldn't even crank (I suspected a dead starter since it had just been replaced with a used part) and #1 would only give me 1500 RPM. Any more throttle than that and she'd sputter and try to die. Finally managed to limp to a dock (not the right dock, though) and dug around in the engine bay looking for anything wrong. It all seemed ok to me, but I really don't know what I'm looking at other than a pair of engines. Plenty of oil, plenty of gas, and both motors would start pretty easy at the dock. On the way back to the ramp I managed to get #2 up to 5500 RPM or so, and about halfway back #1 came up to about 5000 for a mile or two. Still not enough to plane, but at least we were making some headway. Then it went to crap again. #2 died and refused to start again, #1 wouldn't give more than 1500.

Back on the trailer I saw some weeds hanging out of the intake but couldn't really get under there to take a look. Back in the driveway I crawled under and found a few small bits of stuff, but nothing major. Most of what I saw before must have blown out on the way home.

So does any of this sound familiar? If I were to take a guess I'd say she's running rich, and I'm going to pull the plugs tomorrow and take a look.
    -----

As an update, I changed the plugs yesterday and the old ones looked a bit bad. The mixture looks about right, but lots of black soot and most of them look wet. No fuel smell, so it has to be oil. I do know that both engines were rebuilt no more than 50 hours ago and the shop that did the work turned the oil injection pumps way, way up for break-in. Could be that they didn't turn them down far enough after 10 hours? I also flushed both motors and got a good stream out of the stern on both sides. Both motors started easy, so I don't think I burned 'em up. No odd noises/plumes of smoke/flames leaping out of the engine bay and they both rev to 4k instantly when you crack the throttles.

Anyone have an idea? Better yet, anyone near Lake Conroe, TX feel like staring into an engine bay making knowledgable noises while drinking beer? As soon as this weather lets up a bit I'm going to drag her to the lake and see if the plugs helped any.

Check your impeller and wear rings

Motivated slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Len View Post
    Check your impeller and wear rings
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. I crawled up under there with the portable sun and checked out the impellers. #1 has a few small nicks in the leading edges, but not too bad. I've seen way worse props on boats. #2 looks brand new. It's almost scary. Wear rings don't look too bad, some minor scratches from what I can see. I might pull the pumps this week and flip the rings just to give me something to do.

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    check the clearance on your wearrings and slight nicks on a impeller can be bad

Motivated slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by superduty View Post
    check the clearance on your wearrings and slight nicks on a impeller can be bad
    I don't really have a way to get past the stator just yet, need to get some longer feeler gauges, but #2 looks like between 10 and 20 thousandths. #1 is less than that. I'll try to crawl under there with a camera and get a pic of the nicks on #1. What's a new impeller cost, anyway? I'd rather have someone that knows what he's doing dress the edges and rebalance it, and having a spare wouldn't be a bad idea anyway, so I figure I could buy a new one, swap it, and send the current one off for a rebuild.

I just have a gut feeling that it's not in the pumps. It was a gradual loss of power, but the whole process only took about a minute. My completely clueless guess is that anything in the pump would have taken longer than that to be apparent.

Speedster problem

It sounds like water in the fuel system to me. Fuel floats on top of water, the pickup can allow you to run at lower rpms and then fall on its face when you need more fuel. The early speedsters have 2 petcocks and 2 fuel filters. (the filter is really a water separator) Check them. The petcocks have rubber that will swell and close off passages due to chemical additives or corrosion. The fuel filters will stop up or quit working with a lot of water intrusion. If the boat has been run a long time like this, the carbs need inspection too. They also have tiny filters that can cause the same symptoms. (neutral switch in the shifter can cause the engines to rev to only 3500 rpm; this is also a common problem)

Ben

I'd also have the compression taken on all cylinders....definitely put ont new spark plugs, and try it again with fresh gas and oil...after that if it's running better, i'd say have it checked by a dealer....i don'T see why a damaged impeller or wear ring would make an engine die...??? It makes no sense....you got either bad fuel, bad spark, or even worst an engine that is temporarly seizing on a piston, and then once cold is starting again.

Have that boat checked properly.

Motivated slacker
    I thought about water in the fuel, but can't see any and there's nothing in the fuel filters. Oil is clean, too. It would be nice if there was a drain at the low point of the fuel system so we could drain it and see. We do that every time we fly, and the planes are nowhere near lakes. Somewhere around here I have a compression test gauge, once I find it I'll see what the cylinders look like. The neutral switch could be part of it. It's been bypassed with a button right at where my knee sits. I suppose I could have hit it, loaded up the engine, and fouled the plugs. I'll pay more attention to what's happening tomorrow. Both motors start easy and run smooth (and loud) in the driveway, but that doesn't tell me much, really.

do you have the 787 engines with the RAVE Valves? If you do, pull them out and check them. the ones in my '98 Challenger were all gunked up and melted, so before they were taken out, the boat wouldn't get on plane for a while, and got so bad that it got up to around 4000RPM and thats it.

Motivated slacker
    Nope, 95s had 657X's. I think I figured it out. Plugged up flame arrestors and too much oil being injected. I'm trying to figure out how to get in there to readjust the oil pumps without hanging upside down from a rope tied to a tree

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information