Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cold water for the VX110

I'm not really sure if it's the colder water at this time of the year,(57 degrees) or cooler air,(70 degrees), but my VX was just happlily screaming on lite chop in the ocean this past weekend. Typically I can muster maybe 52- 53 mph(gps) on the ocean during the summer, but after a longer ride you will feel the performance start to decline with the heat.

This last weekend though, I did a round trip of about 85 miles, on the chilly ocean chop, and this machine kept pulling hard and top speed held consistently at 56-57mph(gps). The really wierd thing is that I hardly burned any fuel. I couldn't believe it, I thought my fuel sender was broke.

I have owned this machine for 3 years and this a first, has anyone else experience this, with colder conditions, on a 4 stroke?
    Last edited by Brewster; 10-22-2007 at 07:43 PM.

I don`t know anything particularly about this ski, but colder conditions, water and air are most favorable to the performance of the ski`s. I have the same results with my GTX, colder water and air temps make the ski run and feel better...PR...

The whole point of this thread was to generate some discussion on the VX. Trying to get anything going in the original Yamaha performance forum was not going to get to far. But with the new 4 stroke section, I was trying to get something going for the poor VX.

I know a ton of people own them and I hope to get more people to respond. Offshore people? Recreation people? Anyone that has some positive or negetive feedback, add on's, great rides, or just plain stupid stuff.

My enthusiasm for this machine might be a little overboard, but when you when go forever on 16 gallons of gas, jump huge ocean swells, cruise between 50-55 mph, beat the crap out of it and starts every time, and quietly travel without annoying anyone, it has to have some respect.

I have a FXSHO on order and I expect to be totally fullfilled with all the great things it has to offer. All I can say if Yamaha has dialed in the FXSHO to be fast, great handling, and with good fuel economy, it's about time. I can't wait to break her in....but it's not here yet, in the mean time I'll talk about the VX.

vx owner

i alos own the vx 110 eeven no everyone still thinks its so slow n all it is still a great machine the lik brewer i can't answer ur question i havent be down the shor to ride sence august ths were my ski is but i really want to get up there if i get any time but i was wondering about wut u said about 85 miles was tht no stop crussing n wat would tht be in hours lik how long 2 -3 hours ? n seems lik ur getting a good speed i got mine to show a strong 55 in the summmer i don't no about now

+1

another vx owner...

I've been amateur racing for a couple of years now. I have a 96 XP 800 and the VX110 for cruising with the kids and family. I've looked into mod'ding the VX110 but from what i've read around the forums, the VX wasn't made to go much faster than stock. There's stuff out there that can increase the HP and possibly increase about +5 mph and costing about a cool grand, but that's pretty much it. I used it for a 50 mile enduro race as a backup and it was flawless. On a full tank with no mods, I did 50 miles 90% at WOT and got timed at about 56mins. By the way after 50 miles at WOT, I think I still had about 1/8 tank left. Water temp ~63 in flat water.
    I'm with you on the SHO about Yammis rep, but it's still a first gen item. It will be yammi's first SC, first Nano hull, the industry's first 1800cc!! monster.
    From experience, mx XP needs TLC and tweaking to keep its edge, if you miss taking care of it, it will remind you on the water. The Yammi's pretty solid, but the SHO is 1st gen. Too bad they don't have those promos GMC had about "taking a car home for the weekend" and see how you think about it. Can someone make a thread called "RXP and SHO owners"?
    -Rick

Hey Maverick welcome to the form. A coulple of members on here done some mods for the VX. You can look them up, some seem to help the VX. The only mod I did was a Solas 18/24 impeller.

I guess really depends on where you ride and how you ride. Some guys like top speed and some like instant excelleration. I know the VX doesn't fit that catagory, but after riding on the open ocean for the last few years I found a new catagory.

This machine is great for cruising and exploring. Your not afraid to push it beyond your comfort zone. When I say comfort zone, I mean being 60 miles offshore in 350' of black ocean water, hitting the kill switch and waiting to spot a whale. Normally it would be hard to do this and feel comfortable, especially when your by yourself,(real stupid!).

That day was my second time out on the VX, I left my beach(Barnstable Harbor) with 3/4 of a tank of gas, and decided to follow the whale watching boat. I thought it was only going out to the middle of the bay. It kept going about 20 miles beyond the tip of the Cape Cod. I started to wonder, while following the boat, if I was suicidal or again just really stupid. I saw whales that day (right beneath my ski!) and met some nice people on some other boats. They could not believe that I just traveled 70 miles on my ski and was just floating there way offshore. Well panick set in as started my machine, it read a 1/2 tank. I followed the whale watching boat on the return trip, to the harbor,(freaking out the whole way back), and just before I made it in, the fuel buzzer went off. Holy chit!! I screamed, when made it back... 140 miles and most of it between 45-55 mph, on 3/4 of tank gas.

After that day I knew this machine has some serious long distance capability. Every time since then, I go out more prepared and take long rides and never worry about anything. To me, being out cruising the open ocean on my VX has to be one of the best things in life, next to my wife and kids.

Good Story Brewster! Sounds like the VX is a reliable machine and gives you that comfortable confident feeling...glad to hear it...PR...

that was a great story real intresting that the vx can and is being pushed to its maxuim capilitly. i love going on long rides but that seem lik a great one u had brewster. the vx is a great machine this summer even no this sounds kinda of stupid i was in the bay fishing of my vx it was a nice calm day so i decided to give it a try n will all tht rooom its not to bad if your by your self

Thanks PR. Like I said , after two rides I knew this machine was not going to be a dissapointment for where I ride. The smoothness, throttle control and quiet engine just adds to the ride. And I almost forgot about the reverse. With all the talk about Yami's right hand reverse, they totally changed it when the VX came out. Very easy to use and easy to engage. Also you can put it in any position, fully adjustable and smooth...same on the FX.

Thank you also FXSHo25. I don't if I fully pushed the VX to it's limits, but I guess I'll find out the day it finally breaks down(hopefully not 60 miles offshore!). I have owned three ski's before, 94' Polaris SL750, 97' Yami GP760 and a 99' Yami GP800. And to be honest I have had many great rides on all those machines. I believe I may have pushed those machine to thier limits, but I never felt as confident on any of them especially when it came to comfort, smoothness, and most important, FUEL CONSUMPTION and QUIETNESS. Therfore the VX really lets me explore and push my limits even further, fun stuff.

FX you mentioned fishing off your VX, your right tons of room. I have caught many strippers(stripe sea bass) on my ski's, and the VX was much easier try to land some of these fighting monsters. Rear deck has plenty of room and very stable to stand on.

Hey Brewster;
    How are you liking that 18/24? Did you ever send it in to Impros?

You are right about the VX. It's a great cruiser and gets GREAT mileage. I do not regret purchasing it. I've done custom exhaust, R&D Intake Grate and the riva air intake and have GPS @ 55mph on glass and horrible cavitation down low. I haven't riden in the last couple weeks but it's cooled off considerably and I'm riding this weekend so I'm interested to see if I gain anything from the colder water.
    Last edited by Nefarious; 11-01-2007 at 10:56 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information