Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

carb adjustment??

My SLT has to be choked each time in order for it to start up even after its all warmed up. Also while its cranking over with the choke on I have to finesse the throttle to get it going. Once its running, it idles fine. Carbs are stock. I have Vortex FA's and aftermarket triple fuel pump(mounted on hull just above carbs).

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Something's amiss. The choke richens the fuel mixture, but then you need to open the throttle? That leans the mixture out. What plugs are you using, how do they look, and what's the gap on them?

Isn't the fuel pump suposed to be mounted as low in the hull as posible?

Do your carbs have an accelerator pump?

Thats what I heard but I mounted the pump there because there was an existing bracket so I made use of it. I also read that the pulse line should be as short as possible from the pump to the crankcase. How does the length of this line effect the carbs? Should I try relocating the pump lower, how much lower?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 95SLT750PWC View Post
    Thats what I heard but I mounted the pump there because there was an existing bracket so I made use of it. I also read that the pulse line should be as short as possible from the pump to the crankcase. How does the length of this line effect the carbs? Should I try relocating the pump lower, how much lower?
    I think the main ideas are to keep the fuel pump mounting low, so that fuel from the tank can easily flow to the pump, and avoid air bubbles in the fuel line to the pump.
    Keeping the pulse line short makes the pulses stronger at the pump, hence more fuel pressure.

I don't think the length of the pulse line has a large effect on the carb settings. The effect might not be anything at all, but a very long pulse line could cause some carb weirdness, I suppose.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Pump mounted low in the hull does help fuel flow from the tank. Don't mount it so low that it's below the pulse fitting on the block. Any fuel, oil, or water inside the engine would fill the pulse hose preventing vacuum to the pump. The shortest pulse line possible keeps the vacuum high and pump working effectively.

I've also heard that if your fuel tank valves aren't working correctly and your tank losses pressure quickly it does this anyone else read that? makes sense to me I'll look for the article Z

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 95SLT750PWC View Post
    My SLT has to be choked each time in order for it to start up even after its all warmed up. Also while its cranking over with the choke on I have to finesse the throttle to get it going. Once its running, it idles fine. Carbs are stock. I have Vortex FA's and aftermarket triple fuel pump(mounted on hull just above carbs).
    Wayyyyyy lean. Like the others have suggested

Replace ALL the fuel lines as they fold over, kink and swell shut.
    Replace the fuel valve as it is a common failure item and the seal inside the valve blocks the flow of fuel.
    Clean the carbs and pay special attention to the filters inside the carbs. If carbs aren't your thing, send them to Randy at Watcon and for 20 bucks a wack plus parts he will have them up done right.
    You mentioned a triple oulet pump, I'd lower the pump, shorten the pulse line (you want a nice strong pulse to the pump) do you have a fuel restrictor within the system? If you don't keep the fuel within the system........
    Number 14 in the photo.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 10-23-2007 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Added Photo

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    send them to Randy at Watcon and for 20 bucks a wack plus parts he will have them up done right.
    I thought it was $40.00 per.

+1
    Hmnnn, I better double check.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information