Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

winter riding PFD/jacket

Today I picked up a new polaris mountaineer jacket for $50.

What are the pros/cons of wearing the PFR on the inside or outside?

thanks
    Scott

+1
    Last winter I wore my PFD under my dry suit. I am planning on purchase a dry suit that is a little cheaper than my diving dry suit.

+1
    Another option is by a company called Mustang. They make survival suits that are CG3 and 5 rated. They also make flotation jackets that are 3 and 5 rated.

The jackets are simply incredible...and toasty as hell too!

http://www.hydrotoys.com/rides/012707/DSC_5011.jpg

HToys, you and Way2 have both mentioned those Mustang jackets before. I immed favorited the site. This full length Integrity seems like the perfect top layer for harsh conditions. Just as you say, fully immersible and itself a PFD. Plus pockets galore! The high visibility red used to bother me but I now see its value on open water.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bruins, the Mustangs are well over $200 so you may have gotten a good value. These snowmobile jackets are supposed to withstand a dunk in the frozen lake. I plan to wear one of these jackets over my wetsuit and I think over my PFD. Shouldnt be too restrictive.

+1
    The mustangs are by far the most comfortable jacket I've worn. I can't speak for the snowmobile jackets, nor do I know how much water they would absorb.

The mustang is HOT in any weather over 55deg especially on a runabout where you don't get that wet. I wear it over my 5mm john wetsuit in the winter, with diving boots and gloves, and it's toasty. I've not tested it under 50deg, but I have tested the combo in 60deg water... it was survivable, but my mustange survival suit is much more suited to long water emersion.

Thanks for the tips.
    Once I get the ski back together I will have to give both ways a try.

Scott

Winter riding

We're considering trying winter riding in Jan/Feb (mostly just for fun!). Our summer riding may be a bit like your winter riding, depending on what part of the country you're in. In the summer, we wear a single layer polypro and Kokatat or Mustang drysuits, with Muck boots and neoprene gloves...and we wear the Stearns type III's. If the air is chilly (below 50F or so) some of our group will wear the balaclavas under their helmets. Later in the fall, we double layer with the second layer being a 'bunny' suit. Water temp runs from 40F to 50F, depending on the time of year. The latest I've ridden is in November; air temp was 30F and water was 45F; that was last year in Sitka. Here's a pic taken two weeks ago just north of Juneau.

I've seen people riding with the Mustang jackets and I know they are warm(er) and all, but aren't intended for PWC's...better off with gear that's recommended for the useage; especially if you dump at speed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20 Oct 2007 - Mike 2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	474.9 KB 
ID:	43743  

Hi Mike
    thanks for the reply, lots of good info.

Too bad you guys in Alaska have to subject yourselves to such lousy scenery while riding....

Alaska riding

Sometimes we're so busy dodging humpback whales, sea lions and jumping salmon that we don't get to enjoy the scenery as much! We're planning a trip around Admiralty Island next spring (300+ miles) and we'll be camping out with the bears during the four day jaunt. We hope to do Chichagof and Baranof Islands after Admiralty. Should be a blast! Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information