Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

750 slt starter bendix drive

My starter turns over everytime although the bendix does not engage all the time. Sometimes it will disengage early and try to rengage. I pulled the front cover off the gear is fine along with the flywheel. I've been lubricating the drive and it seems to be getting better. The oil that is being slung out is of rust color.
    My understanding there is a spring and a splined area that allows the gear to slide out and that all there's to it. Is this correct and has anyone else had success in lubrication of the bendix drive.

+1
    I would just replace it but I've been told if you soak it long enough it'll work. My question is, for how long?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    I would just replace it but I've been told if you soak it long enough it'll work. My question is, for how long?

IMO this is a temperary fix at best. if things get rusty inside, it will stick again, and if your luck is anything like mine, it will be on a saturday, when you are out alone, in the middle of a HUGE lake!

if it was easire to replace, i would say do it. but they are a pain.

i do have good, clean used ones here, for 50.00 + s&h. we keep only the best of the best. ( clean, low hr fresh water skis). if any are questionable, i toss them.

send me an email if you want one.

again, this is JUST my opinion. you can soak it, and it will work. mineral spirits would work, i would then soak it in tranny fluid. ( it too has good cleaning abilities). it may last a week, it may last 10 more years.

zig

sl750

I have a 95 sl750 that when I hit the starter button I hear the starter spinning but the motor does not turn over (a whirring sound) it just stopped working (the motor was turning over) somebody told me to replace the starter because the bendix was bad does that sound right?
    Mike

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    The starter and bendix are 2 seperate components. If the starter turns over and the engine doesn't, then it's the bendix. Replace the bendix.

Do you have to pull the motor to replace the bendix? I have a shop manual but it does not really tell me how to do it in the hull? also if I replace the starter at the same time do I have to remove all the exhaust parts to get to it? Is there a manual that talks you through replacing these?

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bkermike View Post
    Do you have to pull the motor to replace the bendix? I have a shop manual but it does not really tell me how to do it in the hull? also if I replace the starter at the same time do I have to remove all the exhaust parts to get to it? Is there a manual that talks you through replacing these?
    you dont have to pull the motor
    but you do need to pull the gas tank to get to the front cover
    i have done it a few times ,,,some find it easier to get the flywheel off after they pull the motor
    it is not easy but it can be done
    mattman
    we all can help no matter what you chose

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    It can be done through the front after removing the gas tank. If the oil tank is removed, it's even easier. Your back will ache a bit, but it's much easier than removing the entire engine.

Polaris bendix on eBay....

Here is the bendix you are needing....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...NA:MOTORS:1123

thanks to all for your answers I bought the bendix and am starting to take out the gas tank,do you have to pull the flywheel or can you get the bendix in and out without removing it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information