Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

SLTX Spark Issues (After Update)

I just installed a brand new ignition update kit (CDI and stator) on a 1997 SLTX 1050 that I bought awhile back with no spark. When I turn it over it only has faint spark once in awhile and it seems like it is when I let off the starter. It sparks on all three cylinders. I am 99.9% sure everything is hooked up correctly and Iím using a brand new battery. I tested the coil through each of the plug wires and they test ok according to the service manual. I tested the coil through the wires coming out of it according to the manual and I get .6 ohmís instead of .35 ohmís. Any ideas what this could be? Coil? Thanks.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    do you have a bilge button ?
    if so try holding that down and then crank the motor to see if you get good spark ...others will chime in to lend BETTER advice..but that will get 1 test out of the way
    mattman

bad battery

+1
    What is the purpose of holding down the bilge button, I donít get it? I know a lot of people say the battery but I have seen these run with a stone dead battery (although I know its not recommended it wasnít mine). It is a brand new never used battery. What about the .35 compared to .6 ohm coil, although Iím not even sure I was testing it right.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mccann316 View Post
    What is the purpose of holding down the bilge button, I donít get it? I know a lot of people say the battery but I have seen these run with a stone dead battery (although I know its not recommended it wasnít mine). It is a brand new never used battery. What about the .35 compared to .6 ohm coil, although Iím not even sure I was testing it right.
    if i remember right when you hold down the bilge it gives the whole system power bilge,trim,cdi evan i think
    but give it a try it will help the others help you
    mattman

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mccann316 View Post
    What is the purpose of holding down the bilge button, I don’t get it? I know a lot of people say the battery but I have seen these run with a stone dead battery (although I know its not recommended it wasn’t mine). It is a brand new never used battery. What about the .35 compared to .6 ohm coil, although I’m not even sure I was testing it right.
    Not sure how you could have it running with a dead battery...
    Typically these systems won't spark unless the battery is putting out at least 10.5 volts WHILE CRANKING.

Regarding the coil test - anytime you are measuring under a few ohms total resistance, the meter must be checked, and contacts to the test probes clean and tight, or the measurement can be way off.

Hold the probes of the meter leads together, and note what the meter reads. Do this a few times, the results must be consistent within a tenth of an ohm or so.

Now, when you do your actual measurement, again do it a few times. The readings should be consistent. If not, disregard them, until you have a few readings that are very close to each other.

Now take the number you got when you held the meter probes together, and SUBTRACT that from the reading you got from the coil test. The result is the actual resistance number (ohms) for the coil.

If you just cannot get the meter to give you consistent results, then either the meter probes or contacts are dirty, the meter is not working properly, or you have an intermittent connection somewhere.
    Last edited by K447; 10-25-2007 at 03:00 PM.

+1
    I have seen one with a dead battery jumped with a jumper pack and then it stayed running and charged the battery after running it awhile. It may have been a 96 SLT 780 so maybe that is a different story. Anyway I am 99.9% sure the battery is also good (new) but I will check. I will also try the bilge button. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

+1
    If it's not the battery and holding the bilge disn't work, test the stator and make sure you received a good one.
    If it works with the bilge you probably have a bad switching/voltage regulator.

I would put my money on a bad regulator/switch unit as mentioned above.

I doubt the coils are bad.

+1
    It was the battery, thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information