Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1

Rocks went in the intake grate now runs like crap! Help!

I am always very careful when pulling next to shore, but today I messed up! Did not turn it off in time and sand and a bunch of rocks went into the intake grate and through the prop I heard the crunbling of the rocks inside and turned it off. I freaked out. I thought I should put it in reverse to take out what was still in the intake grate, if there was anything. I turn it on in reverse and more rocks seem to go through and you can imagine how it sounded. I thought it was clear and took it out right away to see if it had messed up something and it DID! BAD! Now it accelerated like crap and there is some nasty vibrations when I do it. I took it out to the ramp and looked inside and it seems the prop is scratched a bit but the wear ring seems to be really damaged.

The wear ring is supposed to hug the prop right? Cuz there are some gaps about 1/8". What should I do? Where doI start?

+1
    Geo,
    I did the same thing last weekend.You definatly tore up the wear ring and from the sounds of it the prop also.Look inside the pump support and i bet you are missing some splines or shark teeth as they call them. Hopefully you didnt tear up the stator
    You can do one of a couple things and anybody corret me if im wrong but you can take it to the dealer were it will cost a arm and a leg for,
    1-A new wear ring
    2-A new prop
    3-a new pump support
    4-Possibly a new stator
    5-LABOR .
    Or you can put a stage one kit in for around 700.00
    It comes with the new impeller and intake grate along with the high flow intake for the supercharger.you would have to buy the wear ring seperate.
    If you read in the tech articals they tell you pretty much how to do all that replacement.If I am missing anything anybody please let us know.
    Scott

+1
    Sorry geo should have read your sig more closely im new to the forums here.I see you have the power filter and wedge kit.Looks like you just need a new prop and wear ring.Heres your chance to get that intake grate also

+1
    Thanks Snoman. I did look in there but did not see any part of the prop missing, I could be wrong, I guess I will know once I take it off.

How hard is this? And how many special tools do I need?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    luckily the RXT has none of them shark teeth... so that's one less part destoryed....

you are in for a prop and wear ring... get a SOLAS!! and a new wear ring... 300 bucks or so and ur all fixed

+1
    I looked at my prop also it looked fine but if you take off the intake grate and feel the prop youll probley feel the edge of the prop mushroomed over or you might even find a rock still hidden between the blades.From what ive looked at on the forums and from what ive seen from my ski it
    doesnt look very hard to replace.special tools i know youll need a prop removal tool but anything else i dont know .This is my first Sea doo

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    GeoRXT,

Ugh... it's happened to most of us here , so don't feel bad.

One thing to note, though. It's an easy thing to assume (especially if you've ever had to throw a propped boat in reverse to clear debris/weeds from the drive) that reverse will clear the pump. Unfortunately, reverse on a PWC is just a diversion of water after the pump, not a change of water direction through the pump. The best thing to do upon hearing the infamous "clunk, clank, clack" is to shut it down... quick.

Oddly, as Shibby stated, it's an opportunity to upgrade to some better parts... \/

Good luck with the fix, it sounds like you came out of it OK,

Jeff

+1
    Thanks guys. Now I need to know if there is a good write-up with good pics that I can follow...?

I think you better check also your bearing as with a bit of stress these things go bad very fast , I am experiencing a bearing problem right now, the only things I sucked in 70 hours are a rope 2 times , So I imagine if you suck rock is worse

Yeah, been there, done that, got the credit card bill. Actually Miketrin and I are a couple of the original pump crushers from '03. Your best bet is to pull the pump and do a visual on everything. You will probably need to clean up the impeller at a minimum but replacing it with a Solas is best while you have it out. The wear ring is an easy swap and the cheapest part of your ordeal. The big question is other damage to the pump such as the vanes, bearings, etc.

As far as pulling it, it is fairly easy. You have to disconnect the steering and reverse arms and then it is just a matter of some long socket extensions to get the whole pump from the ski. If you look at it from the rear, you'll see how it mounts to the hull and how the pump is two parts. I am sure if you search, there are more details posted. While you are at it, order a shop manual to have handy for this and future work.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information