Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can short trailer cause a "hook" in the hull?

The stern of my 02 GTX 4 tec is about 20" from the end of the bunks. IOW the back 20" of the boat are not supported because the Loadrite WV1003W trailer is too short. What effect if any will having 20" of the hull hanging off the trailer have on the hull? Anybody ever seen a short trailer cause a "hook" in the hull of a ski?
    I've heard about this happening to boats but not a ski.

+1
    i could somewhat understand a boat with the motor at the rear and the trasom aft of the hull hanging out there making a hook if trailered around hanging off for a CONSIDERABLE time but a jet ski DOES NOT have the weight in my personal opinion to do this! then again im just some IDIOT REDNECK HILLBILLY wanna be~! so i say i DOUBT it but NEVER SAY NEVER!

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    The stern of my 02 GTX 4 tec is about 20" from the end of the bunks. IOW the back 20" of the boat are not supported because the Loadrite WV1003W trailer is too short. What effect if any will having 20" of the hull hanging off the trailer have on the hull? Anybody ever seen a short trailer cause a "hook" in the hull of a ski?
    I've heard about this happening to boats but not a ski.
    thats not going to create a hook... more of a stress fracture/crack if the boat is not strapped down tightly and you go over bumps alot while trailering the boat.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    thats not going to create a hook... more of a stress fracture/crack if the boat is not strapped down tightly and you go over bumps alot while trailering the boat.....

true!

I keep the rear strapped down to minimize bouncing up and down on the trailer. I'm not seeing any obvious damage to the hull so far..... This trailer is rated for 1000 lbs so I guess the dealer that originally sold this ski figured it would be OK since the trailer met the weight requirement even though the stern hangs out 20" past the bunks. What do you think? Is this a problem worth fixing? Does anyone make an "extension kit" for trailers that are too short for the 3 seater skis.

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    I keep the rear strapped down to minimize bouncing up and down on the trailer. I'm not seeing any obvious damage to the hull so far..... This trailer is rated for 1000 lbs so I guess the dealer that originally sold this ski figured it would be OK since the trailer met the weight requirement even though the stern hangs out 20" past the bunks. What do you think? Is this a problem worth fixing? Does anyone make an "extension kit" for trailers that are too short for the 3 seater skis.
    I'm not sure a manfacturer would want the liability to build one.. plus every trailer is a little different. you could try fabricating something for it I'm sure. Do you have a picture of your ski on the trailer? maybe we can help with some ideas...
    -=Rick

+1
    any chance of moving the front bar up on the trailer so the ass end doesnt hang off so much. Maybe even more for just piece of mind than anything else?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    what is the tongue weight of the trailer like right now?

is the axle adjustable front to back, or welded in place?

what brand is the trailer?

+1
    Fiberglass is most likely to develope a hook or rocker if not supported properly during the first few weeks out of the mold. Once it is fully cured chances are less. Regardless, I would replace the 6 foot bunks on your trailer with 8 footers. That would give extra support plus it might provide some transom protection should a car rear end the ski. (only if the bunks extend past the end of the ski)

Richard

If you do change the set up be careful. As the tongue weight shifts the trailer may put too much weight on the hitch resulting in the ski bouncing between the mirrors (side to side sway)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information