2002 GTI (720) What Modifications?

I bought a 2002 GTI with the 720, I wanted teh 720 since I have the same motor in my 95 xp. What are some good modifications to spice it up? I want to try to improve the GTI's speed/power closer to the XP. What can I do to the motor and pump? I know this isnt a race boat but I want to make it a little faster ect.

Thanks,

-=Rick

theres not a lot you can do i dont think...typically you can add a factory pipe to a 720 but i think you'll run into an issue with someone making a rev limiter for your year ski.

on the 720 you want to stay away from aftermarket flame arrestors because the intake manifolds have a habit of cracking when not reinforced with a bracket.

the best you could do would be to probably just mill the head or buy an aftermarket head and change the impeller, depending on your impeller choice you could gain a mph or 2 and have better acceleration

Quote Originally Posted by bigborexpl View Post
    theres not a lot you can do i dont think...typically you can add a factory pipe to a 720 but i think you'll run into an issue with someone making a rev limiter for your year ski.

on the 720 you want to stay away from aftermarket flame arrestors because the intake manifolds have a habit of cracking when not reinforced with a bracket.

the best you could do would be to probably just mill the head or buy an aftermarket head and change the impeller, depending on your impeller choice you could gain a mph or 2 and have better acceleration
    Are the pipes all interchangeable on the 720's or does it matter on the hull I am looking as some used aftermarket exhaust systems one from a XP one from a GTS I belive.
    Thanks,
    -=Rick

they should fit no problem...never tried it.......however, youre going to need an aftermarket rev limiter because the pipe needs to turn more rpms. this is going to be your problem, im not aware of any companies that make an aftermarket rev limiter for your year ski. i feel you are going to be in the vast minority trying to modify your gti.

you could maybe backdate your ignition and electronics to the old style and use an older rev-limiter. although its probably going to be more work and $ then its worth.

not sure on 2002's however a lot of gti's have funky electronics, like the dess cut off relay and weird mpems. like for example, if you do have the dess cut off relay your going to need an old style dess post with 3 wires, cut out the relay and run an ignition box and mpem from a 95-96 year ski with a 720. I honestly dont know all the electronic differences from year to year on a gti. All i know is that compared to a 95xp they are different.

they should fit no problem...never tried it.......however, youre going to need an aftermarket rev limiter because the pipe needs to turn more rpms. this is going to be your problem, im not aware of any companies that make an aftermarket rev limiter for your year ski. i feel you are going to be in the vast minority trying to modify your gti.

you could maybe backdate your ignition and electronics to the old style and use an older rev-limiter. although its probably going to be more work and $ then its worth.

not sure on 2002's however a lot of gti's have funky electronics, like the dess cut off relay and weird mpems. like for example, if you do have the dess cut off relay your going to need an old style dess post with 3 wires, cut out the relay and run an ignition box and mpem from a 95-96 year ski with a 720. I honestly dont know all the electronic differences from year to year on a gti. All i know is that compared to a 95xp they are different.

What about a stand alone ignition system? I've see someone selling a used setup before for a 720.. can I adapt it to my ski other then the charging system and starter what other electronics are there?

What about this? http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/electric2.htm
    They show Part number:
    004-220-04

Would that take care of the issue?
    Thanks,
    -=Rick

actually it looks like it might....ive never used it though, nor have i heard of it. it looks like its made by wsm, not the best, but it could work for what you need.

actually it looks like it might....ive never used it though, nor have i heard of it. it looks like its made by wsm, not the best, but it could work for what you need.
    WSM is bad stuff? I put a prop. shaft bearing in my 95' that was a wsm I bought of ebay.. hopefully it's not going to fail soon..
    -=Rick

i choose not to use wsm anything, most of their older stuff was junk, not sure how it is these days.

seeing as the parts you replaced arent that critical and they are working fine now, i wouldnt worry about it. usually wsm isnt manufactured to close tolerances and often just wont fit right

Thread Information