Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question reverse wrong side

All you yamaha owners, just how much of a pain in the butt is it with the handel for reverse being on the right?

+1
    i don't have a problem with it
    i just think it's good to have reverse

kev

Talking

Same as FX said.

However, I think the reason why they have the reverse on the same side as the throtle is as a safety feature. So it would not be so easy to slam it in reverse while giving it throtle. But I love having the ability to reverse.

SeaDoocer
    biker, I asked the same question not long ago. Have you seen the new traction reverse the sho's have on them for 08? It's going to be a very nice feature. As for the reverse being on the right side it really is not going to make much difference once you go through the procedure in your mind. Say you come into the dock or toward the beach, you pull the reverse with your right hand maybe a little sooner than you normally would but your probably talking maybe a half of a second difference. Don't let that stop you, as I was thinking, from buying this ski...it's too nice to let that stand in your way!

If the FXSHO's reverse has been improved with this new traction feature , I can't wait to try it out. My reverse on my 05' VX 110 is flawless. You never second guess how to engage it. I usually reach over with my left hand while my other hand is on the throttle. Not a problem for coordination, and I'm right handed. Yamaha has greatly improved thier reverse since the VX and the FXHO came out in 05'. The old reverse on thier XLT's and FX machines was a nightmare, very ridgid and difficult to use in a panic situation. The reverse is smooth and has variable feel to it. Like I said can't wait to try out the FXSHO's reverse (and new cruise control!).

South west Mo-25 miles from Tablerock lake.

reverse

Just takes a little practice. I don't even think about it.

+1
    Polaris used to have the reverse on the right and switched to the left.
    Being able to control reverse/forward actions with your left hand and throttle with the right is MUCH nicer.
    You do get used to reversing and accelerating with the right only but I'm willing to bet you'd be more acurate, faster and more comfortable manuevering in tight conditions with the ability to use both hands.
    I could go into an example but it would have to be in the VIP room.

When you use reverse, on a Yamaha, do you really use two hands on the steering, take your right hand of the gas, engage reverse with the right hand, place right hand back on the throttle and proceed to back up?

No...even if you had the reverse lever on the left, you would still use the left hand to engage the reverse and keep your hand on the lever until your done backing up or need to go forward then back up again.

On a Yamaha, reaching over with your left hand while the right hand is on the throttle and keeping your left on the reverse lever, is really no big deal. Unless your doing a slalom course in reverse... using one hand to turn while backing up might be less confusing to back up. Just like when you back up a trailer...if your confused on how to reverse steer use one hand.

+1
    To me putting the reverse lever on the right side, under the throttle is like putting the brake pedal in your car up on the dash... you can do it, but it really makes no sense.

Talking about cars, how did anyone ever learn how drive a standard with a clutch? Maybe all car makers should just make automatics.

Good thing Yamaha doesn't make Waverunners with 6 speed trannys and right hand reverse...then we may have some real problems.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information