Unhappy 96 XP Battery Draining

I have a 96 XP. When I plug in the cable that goes to the Magneto coil, I can watch the voltage on the battery drop. When I disconnect it, the battery voltage will rise. Anyone seen this? Is it the coil or something else?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter700_007 View Post
    I have a 96 XP. When I plug in the cable that goes to the Magneto coil, I can watch the voltage on the battery drop. When I disconnect it, the battery voltage will rise. Anyone seen this? Is it the coil or something else?
    Welcome!

What cable are you referring to? Can you do a search? We've hammered this subject many times...you aren't the first...

Unhappy

It is the cable that runs from the Electrical System Box to the Stator Plate. Tried searching but not sure what exactly to search for.

Try replacing the rectifier in the gray box first. It is not blowing any fuses, right?

If the engine has never been submerged underwater, then the stator is probably ok. Make sure the pins in the front cover plug receptacle, and plug, are not corroded if it is a saltwater ski.

Make sure all your grounds are good too.

In case you aren't sure what it is, the rectifier has three thick yellow wires coming from it and one thick red.

Thanks for the reply. It is not blowing any fuses. I don't think it has been submerged, but I just bought it, and it had the existing problem. Will check on the connectors and double check the grounds. Where on line is a good place to buy SeaDoo parts?

Check for a grounded stator. I bet you will find it!!

I am having that problem as well. I was out on the water last summer, 17 minutes later my battery light came on. It was great all year until it's last ride. I have the service manual in PDF format, did the diagnostic on the MPEM, DC-CDI and stator. Turns out my DC-CDI has failed some resistance values in the book. I think what is going on, is that the DC-CDI module is keeping something energized at all times. If you disconnect the black lead off your battery and just touch it to the battery...you should see it jump a fat spark. I tested all wires leading up to the regulator/rectifier and found when I disconnect the red lead which runs into the MPEM the black lead on the battery would stop arcing. I assume that red lead going into the MPEM is related to the DC-CDI as they do hook up at some point in the grey box. Waiting on replacement parts to see if it cures the problem. 96XPSS has a lot of great info...def. worth taking to heart. Thanks for the help fella.
    Last edited by Schwarzenegger; 03-09-2008 at 01:49 AM.

battery draining

I suggest you give John at Jet Ski Solutions a call and send the CDI to him he will fix you right up at half the cost of a new one. www.jetskisolutions.com he does all my electrical work from cdi to complete wiring!!!

+1
    There is nothing to fix in a Seadoo cdi.

Thread Information