Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Hydrolocked and Failed 4-Tec

I have worked on 2 stokes enough to understand what would likely need repair due to water ingestion, however, not on a 4 Tec. I am looking at purchasing a 4 Tec someone towed behind a boat at speed and "you got it" pushed water into a cylinder and "cracked a piston".

I know the sky's the limit, but can you guys help me understand what likely might be the scope of a repair like this? Supercharger, etc.. It is a 2004 GTX 4-Tec Supercharged.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    ..... towed the ski, filled the motor with water, then cracked a piston? .....

as a full-time service shop located ON the water, in the peak of summer we get skis all week-long getting towed to the dock behind us with people that can't start the skis and they dont know why... well did you clamp off the hose? they reply.. what hose!?!

there was probably between 10-15 4-tecs in for service this summer that were completely drowned in water theru the exhaust, thru the combustion chambers, and all the way into the air intakes... every single on of them had multiple start attempts by the owners but nothing but a locked CLICK noise..

every single one of them was properly drained and serviced and beaten on afterwards with no problem, but that doesn't mean a couple of them aren't running around with a slightly bent rod.

so i'm wondering how u "crack" a piston by ingesting water... unless water was ingested which bent a rod which led to eventual failure and the rod totally let go and sent the piston into the head which then cracked the piston...

the supercharger is not impacted by this at all really...

your points of concern will be cylinder scuffing from the maybe hydrolocked bent rod, a wrecked cylinder head and valves maybe if the piston was cracked by impact with the head, maybe crank journal damage as well depending on how it failed.

does the motor still crank over? is it locked up? is the motor taken apart already and diagnosed that the piston was declared cracked? if so, whats the cylinder head and cylinder walls look like?

i guess im a dummy- but shibby can you explain more about towing and blocking off a hose! thanks

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    there's a main 3/4" water line coming off the pump that feeds the whole raw-water side of the cooling system... this supplies water to the intercooler (if equipped) and the exhaust manifold, j-pipe, and waterbox....

if u do not block off this hose, the rush of water from towing the craft goes thru the water lines and floods the exhaust and backs up into the manifold and into the cylinders and eventually into the intake manifold and all the way thru the SC and air intake of it goes on for that long at a quick enough tow pace.

it's usually marked in the bottom of the hull towards the back from the factory with a red piece of tape around that hose that needs to be clamped off.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    there's a main 3/4" water line coming off the pump that feeds the whole raw-water side of the cooling system... this supplies water to the intercooler (if equipped) and the exhaust manifold, j-pipe, and waterbox....

if u do not block off this hose, the rush of water from towing the craft goes thru the water lines and floods the exhaust and backs up into the manifold and into the cylinders and eventually into the intake manifold and all the way thru the SC and air intake of it goes on for that long at a quick enough tow pace.

it's usually marked in the bottom of the hull towards the back from the factory with a red piece of tape around that hose that needs to be clamped off.
    WOW, I didn't know this. Great info Steve and thanks for sharing. I will need to remember that incase I need to be towed or tow someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by RXPkid View Post
    WOW, I didn't know this. Great info Steve and thanks for sharing. I will need to remember that incase I need to be towed or tow someone else.
    What's even MORE stupid, is the fact that sea doo doesn't install backflow preventers to "prevent" this sorta thing.

In fact, I had to sign an agreement when I bought my ski (from the dealer) that they explained this to me and I understood that a ski towed faster than 5mph would have this happen.

So I asked....(as any intelligent person would) do you have clamps that you recommend. The salesman replies....yeah...we sell them in the parts/accessories department. (they're like $7.00) and I couldn't get them to throw one in with my $11k ski. Talk about dumb. I said, it's amazing that you take the time to make someone sign an agreement but you don't give them a $7.00 clamp. You'd think if they lost one argument or had to repair one ski that had this happen, it would be worth it to give out these clamps. Some businessmen are absolutely brilliant.

Yep that hose is addressed in the owners manual.

Towing the Watercraft
    in Water
    Special precautions should be taken
    when towing a Sea-Doo watercraft in
    water.
    Maximum recommended towing
    speed is 24 km/h (15 MPH).
    When towing yourwatercraft in water,
    pinch the water supply hose from the
    impeller housing to the exhaust manifold
    with a large hose pincher (P/N 529
    032 500).
    F01B23Y
    This will prevent the exhaust cooling
    system from filling which may lead to
    water being injected into and filling the
    engine. Without the engine running
    there isn't any exhaust pressure to carry
    the water out the exhaust outlet.
    CAUTION:
    Failure to do thismay result
    in damage to the engine. If you
    must tow a stranded watercraft in
    water and do not have a hose pincher,
    be sure to stay well below the
    maximum towing speed of 24 km/h
    (15 MPH).

To ease access to the hose, the vent
    tube can be temporarily removed.

see attachment for the full description

here is the part number and price for the clamp

529032500 PINCHER-HOSESeadoo35.99
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	towing.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	43055  
    Last edited by bruinsrme; 10-27-2007 at 06:48 PM.

wow, I had heard about this from some guy and I thought he was crazy .
    I'm really not understanding the diagram to much as to how the clamp works.

This is something all 4tec owners should be aware of. This is as serious as the ceramic washers issue. Not everyone has bought the ski's brand new from a dealer therfore not ever having this explained to them

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information