Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Do not buy Riva finger throttle kit.....burned again

I hate to be the guy that keeps busting on Riva,

Maybe it's my car background. When I buy bolt ons or mods for my car, generally I've had either incredible luck or the manufacturers just take more pride in their products. I've never had the fitment/installation issues on my car that I've had on my jet ski. Seriously. (and I've done everything from internals to valve train to blower to rear end to minor bolts ons to body kits).

First of all, the kit comes with a drill bit and a die to drill a new hole for the new assembly. It comes with what I could only describe as a very shoddy cover piece that goes between the center secion of the handlbars and the new assembly.

Second, once again, the fitment just REALLY REALLY REALLY sucks.

I had to file (incredible....a bolt on kit and I'm drilling, tapping and filing) yes file the edges down on the ends of the OEM handles. One would think that would have been enough to make sliding the provided plastic spacer on an uneventful step. Nope. Even after I slid the plastic piece over the edges, it absolutely will not slide any further, after mangling it with flathead screwdriver and a hammer trying to get it to slide fully into place, I cannot get it to go any further and I cannot even remove it to throw this stupid kit away and put the OEM back on. Brilliant.

Pardon my rant. Riva products are expensive....cheaply made and barely thought through from an installation point. Seriously, they could have fabbed a piece that didn't involve drilling and tapping or at the very LEAST, they could provide spacers a little larger and ask for some silicone or locktite (rather than filing the OEM components to make their dumbass piece fit ) If you think I'm upset, I am.

I'm done with Riva. I will not buy another product from them. From their intercooler bracket not fitting (and having to modify the hull) to installation issues with their cold intake kit (on RXT's it's a royal pain in the a$$) to whatever.

I'm done. Buy this kit at your own risk. It looks shoddy and fits the same. The installation is NOT bolt on.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
    First of all, the kit comes with a drill bit and a die to drill a new hole for the new assembly. It comes with what I could only describe as a very shoddy cover piece that goes between the center secion of the handlbars and the new assembly.

Second, once again, the fitment just REALLY REALLY REALLY sucks.
    I second that......

The drill bit is a nice thought but unless you want to drill thru butter it is useless. Second you need to punch the round bar if you want to drill it otherwise the bit is going to dance all over the place.

The cover is a POS and Riva should be embarassed to sell such a POS with their name associated with it. That is why I reverted back to the stock covers.

Yep I should have put that money towards the UMI setup.

I will give riva credit for including the tap...

3+++

I went throught exactly the same thing you are going through. I didnt have a problem drilling and tapping but I was upset with the plastic cover they provide to replace the oem one. It fits horribly!! Very poor quality peice. For $200.00 bucks that this kit cost, the I think If I would do it again I would just go with either a UMI system or a custom throttle conversion.

Has anyone installed the RIVA kit and used the oem peice istead of that cheap plastic cover supplied in the kit ? It might work if modified ??

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...light=throttle

I have been thinking about installing the extentions
    Last edited by bruinsrme; 10-27-2007 at 06:40 PM.

+1
    ditto....they should be embarrassed by that cheezy cover....still beats the crappy oem shoehorn thumb lever though

I remember that thread, i had asked a few questions but I never saw the pictures. i think im going into the garage to do this right now. I hate that RIVA plastic !!! I cant stand looking t it everytime I ride.

Bruinsrme, did you try the umi one on there finally ? And another thing, I am 6'2" and the extensions were a must for me. Before the sterring was way to narrow. Would the OEM plastic that you used still work with the extensions ??

+1
    4++++

I have a riva shroud cover for free if anyone wants it. Thats how lousy it is!
    Here's what I ended up doing with the kit.
    I used only the bar extensions from the kit. I put aside the "plastic yamaha finger throttle" & the cheezy, rounded shroud cover. Oh, and the plastic spacers were a joke! I had to pound the schit out of them to get them on only to remove them again once I discovered the lousy fitment of everything else. I drilled a hole in the OEM cover & used my extra KVPI finger throttle. Looks OEM to me, no?
    check this thread.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14747
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rxp bars 016.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	43057   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rxp bars 017.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	43058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rxp bars 018.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	43059  

I had the Umi set up on the 04 wake. I liked that lever a lot more than the Riva.

yes it will work with any set up...

the only thing have to do it play with the spacing between the oem cover and the throttle lever assembly.

the left side is easy just used the sullplied spacer and extension.

the right side will take some different spacing configurations.
    Dont drill until you know where you want the throttle control.

, gonna look into this, Am i gonna have to remove the spacers the kit brought ? or will I still have room ? those spacers were a real pain in the ASS to put in, I cant iagine having to take them out

Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    I had the Umi set up on the 04 wake. I liked that lever a lot more than the Riva.

yes it will work with any set up...

the only thing have to do it play with the spacing between the oem cover and the throttle lever assembly.

the left side is easy just used the sullplied spacer and extension.

the right side will take some different spacing configurations.
    Dont drill until you know where you want the throttle control.

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    i though mine went in rather straigt forward... i admit the cover could fit a little better ... but it is still the most OEM looking one out there although it is a bit pricy

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information