Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2000 genesis exhaust gaskets

can i make the exhaust gaskets out of gasket material for my 2000 genesis ffi ? when i took it apart it didnt have real gaskets it had like thin rubber .ive made some out of gasket material ,but my friend said to just use that hi temp copper gasket in a tube ? will that work? i dont want to mess up this ski again . thanks for any help

+1
    DON'T use a gasket, damage may occur.
    Get a good high temp sealant and call it a day.

gaskets

ok thanks ill use the hi temp copper sealant.i also noticed the heads have no sealant or gaskets just two o rings on each head .is that normal for a 2000 genesis ffi? thanks.

+1
    Yep, O-rings is it.

+1
    I'd like to revisit this if we may. I already tried the search function to no avail.

Can we recap as to why Polaris stopped using gaskets please?

Was this an official bulletin, or something that they just decided to do and word spread about problems using the gaskets?

+1
    I thought everybody already knew this I'll try to post it in the exhaust section later.

"The 3 point mounting system of the exhaust to cylinders was creating a distortion to the cylinder bores."

As I recall this was a pretty big issue with the MSX cylinders but no gasket was pretty much carried across the board.
    I find myself using less gaskets but more prep time in mating surface areas. I really like the Porsche sealant for all engine mating surfaces but I know most like the Threebond 1211 that Randy from Watcon sales.

+1
    Like ph2ocraft listed, the gaskets were causing the cylinders to go out of circle into an oval shape. Polaris at first coundn't figure out the problem to there domestic engines with piston failure...they knew they were going oval but could not understand what was causing it. They actually for awhile were reboring the cylinders by hand after they were assembled to the exhaust manifold. Then by chance, when down in Florida, Chris Bush was checking something on some guys ski who happened to rebuild his engine and forgot to put the exhaust gaskets back in. He measured and noticed the cylinders weren't/had not ovaled and whaalaa...the problem was discovered. Ever since, Polaris stopped using the exhaust gaskets and no more problems.

+1
    Three bond for me is the way to go .Use the heavier g/box sealant if you have a choice .When mounting the cylinders make sure all surfaces are clean and dont final tighten the cylinders to the block until you have mounted the exhaust manifold on .Mount it up (exhaust manifold )with out sealant first and then tighten the case to cylinder nuts .Then you can mount the manifold knowing that it won't distort because the 3 barrels aren't parellel to the face of the manifold

Cheers

Bernie

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    I thought everybody already knew this I'll try to post it in the exhaust section later.
    People come from miiiiiiiles around to see the funny man Al!!!!

OK, so all kidding aside. I was aware of the theory, just wasn't sure if Polaris made it an official thing or if maybe it was just a "hush-hush" type thing.
    Why no problems on the snowmobile three point exhaust mounting, individual cylinder setups?

The down low is Polaris found it cost effective to not have to install gaskets, that is it.It is not going to pull the cylinders out of round when they are placed at stratget places to seal the manifold down. the gaskets were used in 1999 and stopped due to cost. Hi-temp rtv is what was later used. The reason Polaris went back to these gaskets was that dealers that were repairing units and did not apply the correct amount on the matting surface. thus plugging off the cooling jackets and crating an over heating issue and causing the engine to fail a second time. If you are rebuilding and engine the exhaust gaskets for the 04 motors will work on all units from 1999-2004 2 and 3 cyl. motors.
    Last edited by CrazyA; 05-01-2009 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Sterilizing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information