Any one know how to replace bad diode in MPEM

Any one know the best way to remove the potting material in the MPEM to replace the faulty diode. If i remove or dissolve all the potting material does any one know what the diode is that needs to be replaced or will it be obvious? I was thinking maybe radio shack for parts. I have red that others have made this repair. One of you is even selling this service on eBay for just under $100. I would rather do it myself for $10 considering I have never herd this ski run. I would like to cheep fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete-n-sara View Post
    Any one know the best way to remove the potting material in the MPEM to replace the faulty diode. If i remove or dissolve all the potting material does any one know what the diode is that needs to be replaced or will it be obvious? I was thinking maybe radio shack for parts. I have red that others have made this repair. One of you is even selling this service on eBay for just under $100. I would rather do it myself for $10 considering I have never herd this ski run. I would like to cheep fix.

What you are not seeing here is that the guy on Ebay destroyed many mpem's trying to figure out how to repair them,he got some of the dead ones from me,what he said was that he removed only a portion of the potting material where the diode is and did a repair.the diode cost about $.50 but getting to it and locating it is another thing entirely.

I started to figure that out I removed lots of the potting material and realized if I knew where it was I would only have to dig there. Were they potted for secrecy or for protection? I would like to find out where that diode is for the future. For now I am going to replace it with a used one that is not blowing fuses.

+1
    The resin in the MPEM is for protection against moisture, water and electronics don't mix.

Thread Information