Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One cold night tonight

Alright northern boys...

I need your help with this one. In my area it is supposed to linger around 1 degree celcius in the wee hours of the night and some freezing is possible. So I just got back from taking the ski off it's floating dock and it is sitting in my garage. Normally my garage is 5-10* warmer than the outside temp so I am wondering what you guys have done that still like to ski in the colder months but keep from damaging the skis in the freezing temps...

Should I just drain the intercooler???

At the very least drain the IC

I know one other forum goer and I did a winterization today.

I got some RV/Marine antifreeze. (Walmart sells Peak and it seems to contain the same chemical as regular antifreeze and not environmental safe please read labels) Also got a cheapo syphon to fill the intercooler and exhaust manifold (didn't use a hole lot) then fogged it and started her up for a second.
    about 30 minutes of work.

1. started up and gave her a full throttle to push out the water in the exhaust.
    2. drained and put about 4 to 6 oz of antifreeze in
    3. put about 10 oz of anitfreeze in the exhaust
    4. removed gas rail
    5. squirt some fog into each injector
    6. ran the ski briefly giving her 2 quick throttle squeezes.
    7. put it back together and turned on the TV

I ahve an 04 and 07 ship manual send me a PM and I can give you the links, also shibby posted a winterization tech update.

I got you bruins...

I hear you on the winterization portion but I am looking to continue to ride for the next month or two... just looking to keep her safe overnight when it freezes....???

Jaycee, it takes quite a few days of freezing temps to ice things over inside the ski. if your a bit worried stick a drop light into the hull away from tanks and such, the heat of the light bulb will keep things warm, just be carefull...

when you get continuos freezing temps that`s when I`d do something soon...

keep a bottle of water in the garage, if it starts to solidify then you know it`s geting cold in the garage.

all last winter I didn`t have anything that actually froze on my shelves...PR...

make sure the drop light is an incandescant light not a flourescent...

Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    make sure the drop light is an incandescant light not a flourescent...
    oh, yes!...PR...

Andy...

What's happening buddy??? Long time no hear....

Anyways thats good to know... getting a bottle out now... see what happens.

You are the perfect guy to ask my next question....

On the inlet hose and the other leading to and from my IC, there are two different mechanisms holding the tubes to the inlets to the IC...

Both are held tight by metal brackets but one has a screw mechanism holding it down(obviously easy to get this sucker off) and the other one has a metal bracket with three "teeth" that go through the metal bracket and a crimp to the bracket itself about 2mm up from the teeth. How do I get this sucker off????

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    I got you bruins...

I hear you on the winterization portion but I am looking to continue to ride for the next month or two... just looking to keep her safe overnight when it freezes....???
    Yeah I am faced with the same situation.

Figured had some time today so I could take my time and do it for the first time. Extremely uneventful

Andy...

On the inlet hose and the other leading to and from my IC, there are two different mechanisms holding the tubes to the inlets to the IC...

Both are held tight by metal brackets but one has a screw mechanism holding it down(obviously easy to get this sucker off) and the other one has a metal bracket with three "teeth" that go through the metal bracket and a crimp to the bracket itself about 2mm up from the teeth. How do I get this sucker off????

follow the band around and you should see it actaully locks onto a tooth. I took a flat head and just pried it up, and replaced it with a regular hose clamp.

Keep the redstripes on their respective hoses. In another thread it was mentioned that the hoses marked in red need to be clamped when being towed. prevents water injestion

Andy...

are you talking about the otieker clamps? you`ll destroy them trying to pry them off and re-use.

I`m pretty sure you would pour RV antifreeze in those lines...but knowing you still want to ride, I don`t know if there is an easy solution, other than blowing air thru the hoses or trying to suck the water out with a shop vac, but then you`d need to get creative and make a adapter or fixture to connect to the hose...

put a thermometer in the garage and see what it gets down to tonight. sorry I wasn`t more helpfull...PR...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information