Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Update on my electrical troubles!!!!

I went down to the shop today, and we tested my coils. My stator coil, the part that looks like a big ball of copper wires coiled up, is fine. My pick up coil is bad though. It looks good but it is shorted out somewhere on the inside. We tested it with what I think is called an ohmeter? It was an orange box shaped tool with a screen , it beeps, and it had a positive and negative pointer on it. It turns out that the pick up coil is bad and I am replacing it for $60. Can a pick up coil just go bad like that after 10 years? I looked along all of my wires and cut back all of the wrapping and every thing is fine, and not melted together. The only thing is, in my rear electrical box that the two positive wires go into, there is one thick red wire by itself bolted to this device, and the other thick red wire is bolted to the same device, only this wire has another skinny wire bolted on with it. That skinny wire has a bulge in it, and the metal internally is melted in one part. The other end of this wire along with its thick red partner wire bolts up the positive terminal of the battery. The other thick red wire by itself goes to the starter. I don't think it is the mpem or the cdi box, because I am still getting power to my multi function guage. Also the only part getting fried is the ignition coil. If the pickup coil is shorted out, it would send juice back through the grounds and fry my ignition coil. I guess the ignition coil is the path of least resistance. Let me know if you guys think the pick up coil can go bad after ten years. Thankyou, Charlie

+1
    I don`t see why it couldn`t. But I`m glad to see your ski will be back on the water soon.

Thanks Hoss!

+1

Re: Update on my electrical troubles!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ccassone
    has another skinny wire bolted on with it. That skinny wire has a bulge in it, and the metal internally is melted in one part. The other end of this wire along with its thick red partner wire bolts up the positive terminal of the battery.
    NO! that thin wire is a GROUND. The color of the wire should be an indicator.

What battery do you have in this? That wire shouldn't reach the +.

Oh shittt!!!!!!! I remember that wire was really rotted so I connected some more wire and I forgot about it all winter. I just realized that I attatced red wire. I must have forgotten and thought red positive! OOOps Could that be what caused all of this? That skinny wire is supposed to go to the negative terminal? So I should have the positive terminal with only one red positive cable, and the negatice terminal with the ground to the starter and the skinny ground also? I think that is how it is supposed to be. Wow, thankyou! All this time I didn't know that was a ground. Thanks, Charlie

+1
    Yeah Chuck,

I hope that is it!! (only cause it's cheap & I beat RQ to it)

You need to "re-splice" a lead to the Neg. on the coil before the BULDGE in the wire and see if that works. (DO NOT USE RED)

It sounds like the thin wire acted like a fuse and (hopefully) saved your ECU.

I'm so embarrassed. I shouldn't have used red wire. That is what my short was. I'll toss everything back together. I have some heat shrink connectors. I plice more wire in and bolt everything up. Hopefully everything works. Is it ok if I splice wire on that is a smaller guage? I will be going from skinny to a little bit skinnier. Not by much but, is that ok to do on that little ground. I just got a new coil from watermedic! What a nice guy! I'll toss that one in and I hope everything works. All of my other electronics are fine. Thanks for all of the help everyone! Charlie

+1
    For a ground always use LARGER guage wire. You must know a sterio guy.

Tap a new ground BEFORE you change anything. If you don't get two chirps it's not the coil it's the MPEM.

Why go larger, if the guageon this wire is really small. It looks really skinny. It comes like that stock. I am not talking about like a ground similar to the starter ground. It is a ground but it is supposed to be skinny.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ccassone
    Why go larger.
    Because I said so...

Also,
    Picture a river. As it goes down-stream (to the Battery) it gets wider. You are channeling the flow of electrons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information