Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need opinions - should I buy an '05 VX 110 with 436 hours?

Looking for people's opinions on something:

I want a second waverunner. I have a 2 year old VX 110 Deluxe and am totally pleased with it. I had a 15 year old Seadoo as my second ski, but it died this year (it'll need about $2000 to get everything fixed, so it's now a "parts boat"). So I'm looking to replace it with something that will give me a number of years of life, and be reasonably reliable.

Also, my kids are just getting to the age where they can ride themsleves, so I want a slower ski for them to ride.

I have my eye on a 2005 VX 110 Sport with 436 hours. It was a rental for two years on a lake in Texas (so it's only been run in fresh water). It has a governor on the engine, so it's been limited to 35 mph top speed, which I would think means the engine hasn't been run full out for all those hours, and also solves my problem about wanting a slower ski.

It's cosmetically a bit banged up, but not too bad compared to other rentals I've seen.

My question is, how much life can I reasonably expect out of a ski wth 436 hours? What is the life-span on yamaha's 4 stroke engines? I'll probably only put 40 - 50 hours a year on it from this point forward.

I'd appreciate thoughts from anyone who has experience in this area.

+1
    these 4 strokes skis last a long time, but personally I would look for a ski with real low hours, especially now at the end of the season when you can get some good deals

+1
    i know that here in oz there were some fx140's that got over 1,000 hours
    but he also had trouble with some 06 models going bang at around 400 hours

kev

I think if the price is low enough, then maybe you could consider that kind of purchase. Like anything you would buy you have to look at all the details. Maintaince records, cracks in hull, leaks, recalls all performed...etc.

If you own one already then that at least that gives you something to compare to. Like Phillip said, I would shop for a lower hour machine. You may find out the 4 stroke engine may go for many hours, but you have alot of other things that may need work,(impeller,driveline bearings), especially on a rental.

By the way, you did mention you have a VX110 deluxe. Why don't find look for another deluxe as they come with the security remote that has the low rpm mode for the kids. Tops out 35-40 mph and you have reverse!
    Last edited by Brewster; 10-29-2007 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the feedback - I'll need to think this through. I've seen some machines with less hours, but none as cheap as I'm budgeting. Right now I'm looking to give $2400 for the ski, Anything a lot newer seems to be going for mid 4K range - which is more than I have to spend right now.

By the way, I'm wondering if the rev limiter (L mode) on my vx 110 deluxe is working properly. I tested it last summer and had it hitting 50 mph on smooth water. With the rev limiter off it was hitting about 57mph, so I didn't find it made much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mknackstedt View Post
    Thanks for the feedback - I'll need to think this through. I've seen some machines with less hours, but none as cheap as I'm budgeting. Right now I'm looking to give $2400 for the ski, Anything a lot newer seems to be going for mid 4K range - which is more than I have to spend right now.

By the way, I'm wondering if the rev limiter (L mode) on my vx 110 deluxe is working properly. I tested it last summer and had it hitting 50 mph on smooth water. With the rev limiter off it was hitting about 57mph, so I didn't find it made much difference.
    I've played with the learner mode and found it didn't make much of a difference. It only limits RPM's by a few hundred or so.

+1
    From what I have seen a ski with 50 hours will be lets say 4K and the one with 500 will be 3K fact is first thing that breaks will close that gap real quick! i would look for a lower hour ski unless the price is a HuGE savings! (2K or more)

Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    From what I have seen a ski with 50 hours will be lets say 4K and the one with 500 will be 3K fact is first thing that breaks will close that gap real quick! i would look for a lower hour ski unless the price is a HuGE savings! (2K or more)
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
    I've played with the learner mode and found it didn't make much of a difference. It only limits RPM's by a few hundred or so.
    Hey Nefarious, that is strange you guys are getting those rpm's and speed on the L mode. When criusing on long rides, I use the L mode alot to save on hand and wrist fatigue. In rough chop, I'll maybe top out at 35 mph, (with the throttle pinned), in flat conditions 40 mph. RPM's wont climb any higher than 5000-5100. Plus you save a ton of fuel by being prevented from using full power(8100 RPM's). The only thing that kind of sucks is using the remote to switch back and forth between modes, never seems to respond the on first try. Also when some moron comes out of
    nowhere and trys to race you while your pinned at 35-40 kind of sucks too. Oh well, as long as I have gas to make it home and my hand and wrist is not numb, I'm happy.

[quote=mknackstedt;443605]Thanks for the feedback - I'll need to think this through. I've seen some machines with less hours, but none as cheap as I'm budgeting. Right now I'm looking to give $2400 for the ski, Anything a lot newer seems to be going for mid 4K range - which is more than I have to spend right now.

Did you buy the VX?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information