Spark Plug Wire Replacement 95' XP

I was playing with my 95' XP the other day, and one of the plug wires pulled out of the spark plug boot. How do you replace the plug wires and what kind of wires do you get? will any plug wire work just cut it off and push it in? Or where is the best place to buy the wire?
    Thanks,
    -=Rick
    Last edited by VetteTech81; 11-01-2007 at 11:16 PM.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    if it is corroded theres a good chance the other one is too. theres no telling how far back it goes. you can cut off a little and see what the condition of the wire is. To put it back in the boot all you have to do is screw it back into the boot. When i did mine i ordered everything. new boots, wires, and regulator thingy from PPG but i think that you can get them from anywhere. They are made by NGK, same as your plugs... good luck

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    if it is corroded theres a good chance the other one is too. theres no telling how far back it goes. you can cut off a little and see what the condition of the wire is. To put it back in the boot all you have to do is screw it back into the boot. When i did mine i ordered everything. new boots, wires, and regulator thingy from PPG but i think that you can get them from anywhere. They are made by NGK, same as your plugs... good luck
    Hey I see your in Bourbonais! I'm up in Downers Grove, but spend most of my weekends down in Momence.. I've only had ski's out on the river in aroma park so far.

Thank you again for your help! Can I use regular automotive spark plug wire?
    -=Rick

+1
    Good insurance also is to add a zip strap/zip tie around the boot end where the wire feeds into the boot. This will secure them so they are always in tight and you get full spark.
    (lesson I learned)

+1
    thats funny, ive probly seen you drive by. By chance you don't happen to drive a white van with 95 800 and 96 800 Doo's do you? I work at Agreliant genetics there in Aroma Park. I usually put in at Cobb Park in Kankakee. Its safer for me... I tried to do a river run with my 95 and ended up runnin aground in the middle of the river down by Donovan.

thats funny, ive probly seen you drive by. By chance you don't happen to drive a white van with 95 800 and 96 800 Doo's do you? I work at Agreliant genetics there in Aroma Park. I usually put in at Cobb Park in Kankakee. Its safer for me... I tried to do a river run with my 95 and ended up runnin aground in the middle of the river down by Donovan.
    Nope not me. I have a Lifted Dark Blue 04' F250 Diesel, the 95' XP and now the 02' GTI I just bought. This is the first season I have owned them so I have only had them out for a 2 or 3 very short rides. I would like to learn more about the area and what docks/ramps I can launch from. So any info you have would help. I see there is a ramp by "ryan's pier" but were not sure if we can use it or if it is their private ramp..
    Thanks,
    -=Rick

+1
    i wouldn't put in there to save my own life!! (sorry) its extremely shallow even when the water is up. you have to know where the channel is( if there is one) if your going to make it to the deeper part of the river. If you happen to get to the fork to the Kankakee and Iriquios River there is a giant rock about 50-100 ft off the point (beware)
    Personally, i put in at Cobb Park. you have to drive through the Hood to get to it but there is a nice old neighborhood the farther back you get by the ramp. there is a very small boat dock there and theres another one directly across from it on the other side of the river but you have to drive all the way around, cross the river and back again to get to it, but its a better dock...
    you should also try the ramps at willmington, il. (kankakee river state park) there are bigger boats and the water is deeper. its also a little closer for you.
    Last edited by airbornexp; 11-01-2007 at 10:47 AM.

i wouldn't put in there to save my own life!! (sorry) its extremely shallow even when the water is up. you have to know where the channel is( if there is one) if your going to make it to the deeper part of the river. If you happen to get to the fork to the Kankakee and Iriquios River there is a giant rock about 50-100 ft off the point (beware)
    Personally, i put in at Cobb Park. you have to drive through the Hood to get to it but there is a nice old neighborhood the farther back you get by the ramp. there is a very small boat dock there and theres another one directly across from it on the other side of the river but you have to drive all the way around, cross the river and back again to get to it, but its a better dock...
    you should also try the ramps at willmington, il. (kankakee river state park) there are bigger boats and the water is deeper. its also a little closer for you.
    I am not really familiar with the area, my fiancee is though.. Let me know when you go out in the spring if you wouldn't mind showing me around the area. Thanks,
    -=Rick

+1
    sure, that won't be a problem if i'm still in the area. Theres a possibility that i might be transfered/ promoted in the near future to Decatur, Il. though. you can always google map it. I will most likely be putting together a trip to the Ozarks in the spring for a couple days to a week for June. just have to plan it. I have room on my six place and two place trailer( for pix see thread "da six pack") if you need a ride.

Thread Information