Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Accessory wiring advise needed

2007 C180. Want to add some accessories that will only be on when the engine is running. Looking for a fused wire to tap off of.

Depends is you want to pull a lot of amp from that application....

If no, then just hook it to existing power, if yes, then you will need a direct feed from the battery+contact relay that can be switched on with the power from the radio for example...

I connected my boost gauge to a purple wire leading to the instrument panel. Comes on when the lanyard is attached, and goes off 10 seconds after disconnecting. As far as accessories go, the boost gauge probably doesn't require much juice, though. +12v wires seem to be purple in the Sea-Doos.

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    I connected my boost gauge to a purple wire leading to the instrument panel. Comes on when the lanyard is attached, and goes off 10 seconds after disconnecting. As far as accessories go, the boost gauge probably doesn't require much juice, though. +12v wires seem to be purple in the Sea-Doos.
    Any solid purple wire is +12 when the key is on the ski.
    I pulled one from the bundle up under the steering column on my RXT to power things.

Just my 2 cents I would run a fused wire from the battery with a relay to the purple wire off the instrument cluster. Tapping just off the purple wire to power up something is a no no. If you draw too many amps. The MPEM may roast. A relay only draws 200 ma for the coil.And the contacts are rated at 30 amps. Use a Bosch relay. The posts on the relay go like this. 85 to purple wire off of guage cluster.
    86 to ground. 87 to ascesories.30 to battery. 87A is not used. I would run a # 10 gauge wire from the battery and fuse it at the battery with a 25 amp fuse.
    Last edited by Dr Len; 10-30-2007 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Len View Post
    Just my 2 cents I would run a fused wire from the battery with a relay to the purple wire off the instrument cluster. Tapping just off the purple wire to power up something is a no no. If you draw too many amps. The MPEM may roast. A relay only draws 200 ma for the coil.And the contacts are rated at 30 amps. Use a Bosch relay. The posts on the relay go like this. 85 to purple wire off of guage cluster.
    86 to ground. 87 to ascesories.30 to battery. 87A is not used. I would run a # 10 guage wire from the battery and fuse it at the battery with a 25 amp fuse.
    Good 2 cents!! I agree...this would be absolutely trouble free. I'm running a 200ma brake light system off my purple wire but I do not run my 4 amp attwood blowers from the purple wire they are directly connected to a fuse to the battery.

Even the 200 ma brake light is a bit much for this +12V...mpem is really easy to toast if you draw too much or little...but for a long time...depends on what is the purpose.

I personnally recommend the fuse like said...better be dafe than sound..!!!

Thanks for all the help. I tapped off the purple wire to power my fuel flow meter. Even though it only has a 2 amp fuse, the fuel flow meter only pulls 70 milliamps.
    The relay is a great idea and I am going to install one for future accessories.

+1
    Thanks for the info on the purple wire for power supply

Can I run my amp for stereo on the purple without roasting anything?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information