Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pics of my bent intake grate

Could this be the reason for loss of rpms (500).Its bent down close to 3/8 inch at the front of the pump shoe. The brass inserts that go in the pump shoe just came out with grate. Anyone know of a pump shoe girdle to fit the GTX?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imga0715_173.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	3184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imga0716_930.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	3185  

+1
    I think mine came out too..It was a long time ago for me...I think I just used some marine epoxy to hold the inserts in when I installed my new grate..

+1
    But I will tell you right now that the best intake grate for our ski's is a modified stock one...

Quote Originally Posted by two2curupt
    But I will tell you right now that the best intake grate for our ski's is a modified stock one...
    Please expalin?

Yes please explain two2curupt....

Re: Pics of my bent intake grate

Quote Originally Posted by CRS
    Could this be the reason for loss of rpms (500).Its bent down close to 3/8 inch at the front of the pump shoe. The brass inserts that go in the pump shoe just came out with grate. Anyone know of a pump shoe girdle to fit the GTX?
    Chris,

If your grate came out the way it is along with the bend, that appears it may be the culprit. I'd bet that little bend can produce a lot of drag. Is it possible that it may have been coming out of the holes with the bolts in tact a lot lower than 3/8" and was not happening until you were at high speeds? Is the rear bolt on the plate where the inserts came out really secure too?

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    CRS,

What kind of grate is this. I thought at first that it was a stock grate but noticed that the two "parallel runners" hang down from the "flat plate portion" much more than stock.

It appears that the grate was secured by the front and rear bolts but that the middle two bolts (actually, ther brass inserts) pulled loose from the water pressure entering the shoe at high speed. That would explain the bend.

Also, it appears that the brass inserts may have possibly pulled loose once before and were reinstalled with some sort of epoxy (hard to tell from the picture).

I just repaired the same two brass inserts on my ski. They were pulled when the front bolt came out and the whole grate departed the ski

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by two2curupt
    Jerry did back to back with a Riva and modified stock. He lost like 1 or 2 mph using the modified stock.

On the RXT I believe burnwater said he did back to back and saw that he lost 1mph using the Riva. I just can't go away from the hookup the Riva gives me.

Two2corupt, tell us more about how you modified the stock grate,I do ocean riding and racing so hook up is the most important thing for me.

Jay,the grate did come out with the bend and chances are it was cominging down further at speed but its a bit hard to know for sure.Rear bolt was tght but the front one was alittle loose.

Jeff,its a worx grate,the inserts hadn`t been repaired before.

Think I`m going to have to make some sort of girdle type arrangement for it as even if I glue the inserts back into the shoeI can`t see that making it strong enough.Looks like the inserts are more for holding the shoe down onto the grate rather than holding the grate up onto the shoe. The shoe is pretty flexible at its leading edge.

Chris.

Hammer it back straight and epoxy the bolt holders back in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information