Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    2010 RXT-X
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Posts
    520

    Winterizing antifreeze flow. Is this right?

    I winterized my ski today. drained the IC, and put antifreeze in it. ok, it came out the bottom. Thats good. Then I pulled the jumper hose off the exhaust and poured antifreeze into the exhaust manifold. I hear dripping, and the antifreeze is coming out the ride plate.

    Is this correct? I'm not totally sure how all the water lines work, but I was confused that pulling the water line off the exhaust manifold the antifreeze still got out the ride plate. Just want to make sure that I did it right.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hvegas, NC
    Posts
    1,005
    if by jumper hose you mean the hose on intercooler going to the exhaust manifold..... you did right

  3. #3
    2010 RXT-X
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicMS3 View Post
    if by jumper hose you mean the hose on intercooler going to the exhaust manifold..... you did right
    Th ehose with the arrow pointed to it. I pulled off the end the arrow points to, and put antifreeze in the hose so it went toward teh exhaust manifold.

    THEN the antifreeze started to run out the ride plate. Is it supposed to run out the ride plate?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	43620  

  4. #4

  5. #5
    2010 RXT-X
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Posts
    520
    Read that and have it printed out when I did the winterizing.

    It doesn't say anything about if the antifreeze being put into the exhaust manifold should run out through the ride plate, which is my main question.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hvegas, NC
    Posts
    1,005
    It doesn't say anywhere in there to remove a hose from the J pipe and pour antifreeze in it back towards the manifold. Antifreeze for the exhaust goes in the hose from the intercooler attached to exhaust manifold and it works it's way down.

    I have never put antifreeze in right there, so I'm not sure.

    It either came out the top of the Jpipe and drained to where you flush it. (where the garden hose goes) OR it drained back thru the intercooler and out the inside of the pump

    Yes it will come out on the rideplate from somewhere
    Last edited by cosmic; 11-02-2007 at 01:50 AM.

  7. #7
    2010 RXT-X
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicMS3 View Post
    It doesn't say anywhere in there to remove a hose from the J pipe and pour antifreeze in it back towards the manifold. Antifreeze for the exhaust goes in the hose from the intercooler attached to exhaust manifold and it works it's way down.

    I have never put antifreeze in right there, so I'm not sure.

    It either came out the top of the Jpipe and drained to where you flush it. (where the garden hose goes) OR it drained back thru the intercooler and out the inside of the pump

    Yes it will come out on the rideplate from somewhere
    I saw that they changed the way to do it from putting it into the bypass hose on the exhaust to using the hose from the I/C. Service manual says one thing latest bulletin says another. After it came out the back, I added antifreeze into the hose from the I/C to the exhaust Manifold. It again came out the rear, I assume from the water box/muffler as it was running down the top of the ride plate. I finally got a diagram of the water system, and it shows a 2nd bypass hose on the bottom of the exhaust manifold. I'm assuming that it came out that hose when I put it into the top hose and went to the ride plate.

    I just want to make sure that I've done it correctly. I've done boat winterizing for 15 years, and when you do the exhaust, it just fills the manifold and thats it. So the RxT is a new setup to me. Thats why I'm asking. wanting to make sure that their is antifreeze IN the exhaust manifold, and that it didn't all run out.

    Thanks for your input !!!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hvegas, NC
    Posts
    1,005
    No problem ....... I'm new at winterizing 4-tecs......I keep mine in a heated garage so I never deal with the antifreeze.......word got out around town and everyone wanted me to winterize their 4- tecs this year instead of paying the stealerships rape charge. I think everyone heard my shorty waterbox on the lake and they thought Damn he's a badass.....I'm gonna have him work on my ski's...JK.......I dunno what happened but last year I winterized (6)2 strokes and this year (34) 4-tecs and ( 2 strokes... So I just went by this Bulletin since it was most recent.........
    Last edited by cosmic; 11-02-2007 at 03:14 PM.

  9. #9
    2010 RXT-X
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicMS3 View Post
    No problem ....... I'm new at winterizing 4-tecs......I keep mine in a heated garage so I never deal with the antifreeze.......word got out around town and everyone wanted me to winterize their 4- tecs this year instead of paying the stealerships rape charge. I think everyone heard my shorty waterbox on the lake and they thought Damn he's a badass.....I'm gonna have him work on my ski's...JK.......I dunno what happened but last year I winterized (6)2 strokes and this year (34) 4-tecs and ( 2 strokes... So I just went by this Bulletin since it was most recent.........
    Sounds familiar. Everyone saw my RxT, and figured I had the fastest ski on the water here, so I must know what I'm doing and could work on all of theirs . Same with people's boats.


    When you did the people 4 techs, you just dumped the 10 oz's of antifreeze into the upper IC hose into the exhaust manifold, and
    called it good?

    After you did that, did you see antifreeze coming out the exhaust onto the ride.

  10. #10
    2010 RXT-X
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Posts
    520
    Just got the answer to my question from a Tech that I trust. The I/C only keeps a small amount if any antifreeze in it. All you are doing is flushing it with antifreeze to mix any remaining water with that antifreeze.

    The same applies with the exhaust manifold. I'm used to doing boats where you fill the exhaust. The Sea Doo's exhaust is done just like the I/C. Pull the hose, and drain any water. Then put antifreeze in. when you see it coming out the back on top of the rideplate, you are done. Again, you are using the antifreeze as a flush to collect/mix with any remaining water.

    So its actually as simple as the book makes it sound. After doing boats for 15 years, I was trying to make it harder than it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. is this right??
    By mudd in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 04:30 PM
  2. Is this Right??
    By Kaybat in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2008, 08:20 PM
  3. uh, is this right? HallPass Jetworks Installation
    By HallPass in forum Yamaha How To & FAQs
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-01-2008, 05:44 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 02:06 PM
  5. Did I get this right?
    By Jeff C in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 08:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •