Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Custom Rideplate discussion...

...what's out there?

This hasn't been discussed for quite some time now. After looking at SpeedFreeks rideplate I was wondering if anyone else has been developing anything.

I remember JD1 working on two different plates (one open loop the other closed loop cooling) at one time and claiming one was capable of a 4mph top end increase. What ever happened to those plates? Last I heard he was doing final tests on them but then I never heard anything else. I know he has a child now (again, CONGRATS! ), so I'm not trying to push the issue, but I'm just curious about what happened to those plate's development? Did they work well and is anyone else running them?

I would also like to rediscuss what does what for these rideplates. A long time ago I remember Jerry adding on an extension to his rideplate like the one on the SpeedFreeks plate. What does length of the extension affect? Also, the angle of the extension? What are the positives and the negatives of the extension? I see a few guys here and there running one, but for the most part it seems like a forgotten mod.

Skegs. I know the general idea behind them, but I'd like to bring back some discussion on width, length, and sharpness of the edge. Look at the difference between Jerry's skegs mounted on the rideplate (http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=382) and the ones built into the SpeedFreeks plate (http://greenhulk.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43492&d=1193884843). What differences will these yield?

Finally is there anything else being done for our plates that anyone would like to share? Is there anything else that can be done to the plate and what will that do for handling and speed of the craft? What are all the current options for modding the 4tec rideplate?
    Last edited by RXP-REX; 11-03-2007 at 10:40 AM.

+1
    back in the day Jerry said something to the effect of -- the rideplate extension (1" I think) scrubs a mph but stops the boat from porpoising.

+1

ride plate

i like the speedfreaks rideplate design. placing the skegs further back into the extension section. the problem with the rxp is to get the ski more out of the water without increasing purposing, this might be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    back in the day Jerry said something to the effect of -- the rideplate extension (1" I think) scrubs a mph but stops the boat from porpoising.
    I think there may have been something mentioned about a 1/2" too.

Generally I want to know what the extension will do for us other than just speed. What about handling...turning, performance in chop, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by rxpdoo View Post
    i like the speedfreaks rideplate design. placing the skegs further back into the extension section. the problem with the rxp is to get the ski more out of the water without increasing purposing, this might be the answer.
    I like the SpeedFreeks plate too. It looks like a very nice peice. I just hope it isn't a top speed on glass only kinda thing. A huge concern for my ski because of my riding conditions is hookup and handling in chop.

Banned User
    +1
    I've seen JD's ride plate on his turbo ski, and its nothing like speedfreaks...Yea, his setup eliminated the closed loop...

The ride plate is, RIGHT NOW, a virtually untouched ares for the REC RIDER...the heavy hitters and racers are using some form right now...

But this winter some good mods will be available to the common folk like us...thats why I am excited about spring!

+1

ride plate

the rideplate extension definetaly help hook up in rough water as well. the skegs located at the end of the extension will help prevent loss of speed. if you look at the skegs you will notice that they are higher at the end where the extension is which will allow the water to escape quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    thats why I am excited about spring!
    Me to brotha!

Quote Originally Posted by rxpdoo View Post
    the rideplate extension definetaly help hook up in rough water as well. the skegs located at the end of the extension will help prevent loss of speed. if you look at the skegs you will notice that they are higher at the end where the extension is which will allow the water to escape quicker.
    That's what I like to hear, better hookup up in the chop. This is good news. Thanks rxpdoo.

Any news on rideplates....what about the speedfreaks design...any testing done yet...?

It seems as if there are some promising designs out there...but not much chatter about them...
    Last edited by ARNYGOLLOTT3; 11-24-2007 at 11:55 PM.

Will it be overkill do use riva sponsons together with the skegs? Any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Trond View Post
    Will it be overkill do use riva sponsons together with the skegs? Any comments?
    Dont hijack my thread dammit!!! Haha, just kidding bro.

But to answer your question, people that "know" handling will tell you the Rivas are a waste. Stick with stock and just remount them as low on the side of the hull as possible.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information