+1

Other Options for Gas Strut on Storage Compartment

I F'd up my gas strut when I took the Storage compartment hood to do the ram air mod and now it is not holding the hood open. Because of this, a plastic piece that connects the hood to the hull has cracked. I went to the dealer to order a new plastic piece and a new gas strut. The said $179 total. I was in shock! The plastic piece was around $50, but the gas strut was $120. Holy S*%^! I told them that I would pass on that for the moment and look elsewhere. The ski is done for the year anyway so I have time on my side. Does anyone know if I can get a suitable replacement at pep boys or any other hardware or auto store? Somebody told me a while ago that I could get one for around $40 but I forgot who it was and they never told me where to get one. If I can, are there certain specs that have to be met to fit properly? Thanks in advance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by erckawasaki View Post
    I F'd up my gas strut when I took the Storage compartment hood to do the ram air mod and now it is not holding the hood open. Because of this, a plastic piece that connects the hood to the hull has cracked. I went to the dealer to order a new plastic piece and a new gas strut. The said $179 total. I was in shock! The plastic piece was around $50, but the gas strut was $120. Holy S*%^! I told them that I would pass on that for the moment and look elsewhere. The ski is done for the year anyway so I have time on my side. Does anyone know if I can get a suitable replacement at pep boys or any other hardware or auto store? Somebody told me a while ago that I could get one for around $40 but I forgot who it was and they never told me where to get one. If I can, are there certain specs that have to be met to fit properly? Thanks in advance.
    If you have the "L" shaped bracket on the end of the strut (the one that attaches to the hood that fits under the black underpan) reversed, it will not hold the hood open. It's easy to do when you are putting the hood back together. I know, I did it

i did the same thing when trying to put my hood back together... getting it back into place is kinda of trickey and takes a few trys... but the its probally NOT busted.. just got to line it up right ...

Thread Information