Just got my own ski

Hey all, so I moved out to Utah for school, but missed my skis back in Boston, so I bought myself a 97 spx for 900 bucks. It looks great, just needs a rebuild. It has beach house sponsons, and some performance intake grate. I'd just like to know what I can do to it to make it do around 70 mph. The motor has 40 lbs of compression on one cylender, so while I'm there, I was thinking about kicking up the compression with some nice pistons and a race head. I was looking around online and can't seem to find that much of an aftermarket for these things. Can anybody help me out? Any quick horsepower gains anybody has come accross? Thanks guys.

Joe

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbidcow55 View Post
    Hey all, so I moved out to Utah for school, but missed my skis back in Boston, so I bought myself a 97 spx for 900 bucks. It looks great, just needs a rebuild. It has beach house sponsons, and some performance intake grate. I'd just like to know what I can do to it to make it do around 70 mph. The motor has 40 lbs of compression on one cylender, so while I'm there, I was thinking about kicking up the compression with some nice pistons and a race head. I was looking around online and can't seem to find that much of an aftermarket for these things. Can anybody help me out? Any quick horsepower gains anybody has come accross? Thanks guys.

Joe

Good news, bad news...

Good news, welcome to the site and congrats onthe purchase...

Bad news, unless you drop a 951 in that hull, it ain't gonna see 70mph...AND if you did drop one in, the money you would spend to GET to 70mph, you could invest in an RXP and be there right away....

Rebuild the motor with proper items, break it in properly....then rejet it, toss some flame arrester filters on, and finish it with a higher compression head...basically a Level 1 package....

For a rebuild and Level 1, contact PPG down in Florida...They can hook you up...
    www.perryperformancegroup.com

--Danny

+1
    Congratulations on your move to Utah. I LOVE that state. Take advantage of all there is while you can (between studies, of course).

Best place in the world to ride a ski is Lake Powell. Like an alien planet - with water.

There have been a lot of 70 mph skis built on the X-4 hulls (XP, SPX) but they are done with VE engines or 951s as Danny stated. Lots of $$$. While you're in school I recommend you build yourself a reliable ski that won't detract from your primary focus - getting a degree. You've got a good ski to start with, the 800 engine is pretty solid, so rebuild it to a level one and enjoy!

There shouldn't be too much problem finding performance parts for an 800 Doo. PPG and Watercraft Magic are two that come to mind.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbidcow55 View Post

Joe
    Easiest and cheapest way to make a 97 SPX go 70.

1. load on trailer

2. hook Trailer to truck

3. Accelerate truck to 70

Seriously, 70 is a very lofty goal. I've got a 96 XP(basically same boat) and i am shooting for low 60's.

Thread Information