Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Garage Heater

Garage Heater

Well its that time of year in New England.

I am looking for an inexpensive but effective garage heater.

recommendations please

thanks
    Scott

Hi Scott, I`ve been using a contractor convection type heater, it is propane and something like 40, 60, 80BTU`s depending on bottle size and pressure. it will run a good 11-12 hours on 40 btu on a 20lb cylinder. If this works for you, lemme know I can sell it cheap. I think you`ll find these in home depot or Lowes for around 125-150.00, really don`t know what they are going for now...PR...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 01-11-2008 at 11:02 PM.

+1
    The unit PR is talking about is a good unit. Very low CO emissions, but it does still put them out, so be cautious in an enclosed garage. I looked at these but went cheaper because, well, that's how I am.

I had a Reznor 65K Btu natural gas fan forced heater in my last garage. Man, I really miss that sucker. If you can put a waste gas duct out the ceiling (like a water heater) this is the best way to go. Grainger sells them as well as others. A bit pricey, and a lot of work to install, but once in they are by far the best.

The unit I use now is a propane jet type I got at The Home Depot and it REALLY puts out the CO. I'd recommend against using these in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The unit PR is talking about is a good unit. Very low CO emissions, but it does still put them out, so be cautious in an enclosed garage. I looked at these but went cheaper because, well, that's how I am.

I had a Reznor 65K Btu natural gas fan forced heater in my last garage. Man, I really miss that sucker. If you can put a waste gas duct out the ceiling (like a water heater) this is the best way to go. Grainger sells them as well as others. A bit pricey, and a lot of work to install, but once in they are by far the best.

The unit I use now is a propane jet type I got at The Home Depot and it REALLY puts out the CO. I'd recommend against using these in the garage.
    ziggy, yeah those propane or kero salimanders really take the oxygen out of your working space.

on the covection type just crack open a window or door every so often. it will get warm very quickly a 10X25 space to 80 degrees in no time...PR...

+1
    I used one of these last year... You roll it out your garage door.. then the unit stays outside and you drop the door onto the vent part... The door ends up staying up about 4 inches BUT in 15 mins when it was -5 outside I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt in my garage.. They come with a thermostat as well... You can rent them from tent rental companies for DIRT cheap in the winter..
    I used it for about 5 days in my garage off and on and never had to change the propane tank...

http://www.constructioncomplete.com/...emier80LP.html

If you want something more permanent... Find a "scratch and dent" gas fireplace and vent it out the garage wall... I was told that works really good too...

Hey Two

the unit looks great but just a little more than I have allocated for such a convenience.

Portability and cost is key, I am really looking for something to keep the temp around long pants and long sleeve shirt.

+1
    What kind of work are you going to be doing, and how many sqr ft do you need to heat? Is the space somewhat insulated(garages usually aren't)? Are you going to live there for a while?

The convection heater may be the ticket for you if you need something temporary or portable. There are a lot of different sizes & styles at all price ranges. Get a propane unit - not kerosene. Cleaner burn and less mess. If you are going to be painting, be sure to turn the unit off until the atmosphere is clear. Don't want to blow the house down

+1
    BTW, my neighbor has an Eclectus. Gorgeous birds.

Yes the Eclecuts are beautiful birds, pretty stringent diets that make owners insane.

I am going to be working on the ski in the garage. The garage does see temps below freezing

+1
    "pretty stringent diets that make owners insane"

That explains a lot about my neighbor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information