Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PPG Stage 1 concerns/Questions

So I went for the Stage 1 kit from PPG, Even though I wasn't going to mod quite yet. I can't say I'm overall pleased. Acceleration is good but not that much better than stock IMO. And as for top end I dont see 8000 RPM's at all In fact when the ski was stock I was seeing 7950 solid, sometimes 8 grand maybe. Now with the mods I'm getting 7600-7700. I'm taking her back to the marina cause they didn't even get to test drive it when they did the install. I'm thinking maybe I need to dump some oil, it is a little over the half way mark.

Other than that any other things I should look out for?

re

I would say that you need to get the impeller repitched. I just did that with mine. I am not all that thrilled with the kit myself. I have only gotten 69 as best speed @8000rpm's. It seems like a lot of money for not big gains. I may have to do more tweaking. 3 MPH off of what was claimed it a lot.

Peter

+1
    Man what is with all these problems with this kit/mods, or are these the same people posting different threads? This to me is really concerning because you're talking a chunk of money and the majority of the biggest mods for this ski yet it's yielding worse numbers than stock (basically and literally in some cases). How can this be? There has to be a common denominator in all this and I can't see it being the thermostat, IC, plumbing, or anything other than the brains of everything - the ECU. You know, I can imagine all these ECU's, which aren't a lot I'm guessing out there in the market, were probably made in the same batch. It IS possible that the programming or something in the process of these went ary. There should be a batch # or control ID that can be looked up to see if these similar customer complaints all had ECU's that were made at the same time/production.

That is the problem I am guessing, the ECU.

+1
    Gforce, I would recommend draining some oil first.

+1

+1
    I have to catch myself here, because I re-read this and it's in regards to PPG's Level 1 which doesn't have the IC or ECU, nonetheless, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what's up with the ECU kits? I have PPG's Level 1 and see 7950 with a Solas and getting 71.8 mph at 430 ft. elevation with more than a half tank of gas. I have the SC impeller and RR IC coming with the PPG plumbing kit and I will see how this fares as I won't have the ECU.

Gforce, RXPNJ is right, it sounds like you just need to have your Solas repitched. I have to send mine in to fine tune it as well but since I wasn't done adding mods I've opted to wait until I get everything I want on it so I'm not repitching it again and again.

+1
    rx4pain, in my opinion you will have the perfect setup. If i were to do it all over again i would have quit there. My ported head/cam has not lived up to my expectations and im quite disgusted. My ski ripped very hard and i had a top speed of 74.5 the day i pulled my head off. Yesterday i saw a top speed of only 73.7 and then my clutch blew

Greenhulk i know this isnt gonna help but i look at this no diff.. then when i messed with mustangs .. it was all fine and dandy until i ripped the heads and cam out... I think honestly once you get everything where it needs to be u will be fine but its going to take time & all of patience... If i were u also i would question the cam one bad lobe and everything is off i have seen this many many times with LUNATI and CRANE cams ....

+1
    Jerry,
    Did the head mod have something to do with the clutch blowing?

I am having similar problems with the PPG Lvl 1.

I was seeing only 7800ish with worx grate, block-offs, and Adjust-a-thrust..

Now, im getting 7900-7950 with the kit, but have yet to verify top-end with GPS .. My best before was 68.

This is @ 750 MSL with temps in the mid 80's.

I have 40 hours and the wear ring is still the original, and undamaged.
    I check my oil by running it for about 15 mins then stopping and pulling the seat in the water. This technique shows just a little bit over the half mark.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information