home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar

why water cooled exhaust

what is the purose of running water through the exhaust manifold ..on boats ...i know cooling ....but why do you need to cool...cars nor bikes do it ... is it bacause the manifolds are aluminum and would melt ??? or is it simply for heat in the hull...wouldnt a ceramic coating and or a heat blanket take care of that??? i thought turbos relied on that heat somewhat ..to spool ...cooling it shrinks the volume of the exhaust therefore not pushing the turbo as fast ...but on a na or supercharged ski it would create a slight vaccume ANd pull the gasses out of the cylingers...as it cooled ...just trying to understand

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    what is the purose of running water through the exhaust manifold ..on boats ...i know cooling ....but why do you need to cool...cars nor bikes do it ... is it bacause the manifolds are aluminum and would melt ??? or is it simply for heat in the hull...wouldnt a ceramic coating and or a heat blanket take care of that??? i thought turbos relied on that heat somewhat ..to spool ...cooling it shrinks the volume of the exhaust therefore not pushing the turbo as fast ...but on a na or supercharged ski it would create a slight vaccume ANd pull the gasses out of the cylingers...as it cooled ...just trying to understand

turbos require exhaust velocity, not the heat...The heat coming out of the exhaust and hitting the water jacketed manifold is not really cooling as much as you would thing.....The water jack is mainly for heat in the engine compartment, since it is a contained location......Unlike a car, which is open and has air being forced in and around)......If you look at any marine application, all exhaust has been water jacketed....its just gets too dang hot....

with the advent of al the heat coatings and blankets ..are any of them good enough to overcome this????

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    with enough hull ventilation...

3 header pipes that are specialty coated going into a collector that is water injected... i'm wondering how feasible that is, bc it'd be so easy

i dont think one universal setup will work for both SCed skis and turbo skis though, that would be VERY challenging, if not impossible

the biggest thing is going to be cost effectiveness

+1
    coated, and header wrapped should be enough for the header pipes, then have the waterbox cool the rest.That should work

how was your ride ??water was a little better today

+1
    ya, it was a lot more smooth than yesterday . We went for all 5 mins of a ride, when he noticed a bad plug, so we went back in to fix it, and then he lost all his display, and power, and wouldn't start. checked all fuses, and couldn't find the problem. So he's taking it in tues.

just thinking about possibly building 1 this winter ..i have headders coated all the time it seems to work well in cars ..just thinking

Thread Information