Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

122hrs, never gas in oil....until now

Ok, I hear the doo peeps raggin' on the 250s and all knew for a long time about this issue. A buddy of mine got a 250 6 months ago, he rides w/ us a lot.....told him of the issue when he 1st got it. Boy I let him have it good, told him to check exh. clamps and so on, cause he was gonna sink and I was not going to save a kaw . (I know, I'm a prick!) We rode today, saw the 122hrs and asked about the oil (he does all service). He said " I just got my new gas cap in, and now there is finally gas in the oil, and not just a little". When the ski was new, he lost the gas cap and had been using an ill-fitting polaris cap. He runs the cap slightly loose now. To me, this is related to the tank pressure for sure.....take it where u want from there (leaking inj. etc.) It would also be nice if we could get him to 70 mph to keep up w/ the RXTs we ride with Anybody got more hours than this? Anybody running 70+ and how?

+1
    Interesting read.

fuggetaboud the GIO issue with this guy; check out his 'Vette!

fuel level

I've noticed that if I have the gas full ie fill up after riding I have next to no pressure in the tank, if I leave the tank empty the pressure can build and can pop the cap out of my hand when undoing the cap. I'm not sure how the gas would get past the injectors though.

+1
    To me, that's 1 hell of a long shot getting past the injectors, but there is some tests we can do. I have not looked, but is there a fuel pressure tap fitting on the 250x? Someone needs to hook fuel press gauge up and see if press drops or holds after engine shuts down. It will not take long to determine if the injectors are bleeding down. If they bleed down every time the engine is shut down, then it would be possible for a ski sitting w/ pressure in the tank for days at a time would get quite a bit of gas in the oil. This kills the bearings and "washes the rings", resulting in greater blow-by and oil contamination. We may not know the exact cause, but I bet both the family jewels kawi does. If they don't, non of them would be qualified to wipe my............Running way to rich would do this too, and if it was only at wot, u would not notice that much, but would still contaminate the oil pretty good, but I hear guys say the oil is fine, and then after sitting for a few days it has a gassy smell

My Ultra has been sitting in storage with a full tank (gas cap all the way closed) since October 14. I will be visiting the boat Friday, Dec 21. When I left the boat the oil level was exactly in the middle on the dipstick (cold). I will see where the oil level is in December and Post something here.

When I get there in Dec it will have been sitting idle 2+ months will a full tank. This to me will be a good test to see if in fact gas is being pushed thru the injectors when the boat is just sitting.

first off someone needs to check their fuel vent check valve. It is supposed to relieve tank pressure with out letting liquid fuel out. Next we need to find the point (if any) that fuel could be getting into the crankcase (not always obvious) with the tank pressurized and the motor off (ie...stored). Not very logical that it is the injectors but very possible. In my experience that if fuel is getting into the intake (and eventually crank case) because a leaking injector (motor off) it gives alot of other idications. Here is the irronic part. Not saying that this is the case but other systoms include: hard start, excessive fuel consumption, fouling plugs. Sound familiar? It could be as simple as poorly designed injectors- to foreign material in the needle/seat of the injector.

Another thing....someone could check the pressure holding capabilites of these injectors. See what pressure if any they start to leak as well as check and see how much pressure is actually built up, in differant circumstances, in the tank. As well look at the 2008 part numbers and systems. I bet kawi is aware of the cause or causes of oil contamination (maybe differant in differant situations) and has some sort of idea what to do to fix the issue. After all they know these skis and motors better than anyone. With that said look hard at the 2008 to see what kind of changes.

John Belton.....that may be a good test but there is not as much expansion in the colder weather than summer months. (not as much pressure build up) I have noticed the rise in my oil levels while being parked. Mainly in summer weather. Been acouple weeks since i have checked my oil (or really seen my ski much) In the service manuel page 3-63 there are test and specs listed. Would be great if someone with the problem could do this and see what they come up with. It says, in short, that if drop in pressure within 6 seconds doing their test, and i quote, "replace delivery pipe, injectors and related parts." This section is dealing with the injectors. We also need to know the pressurization of the tank. Could be a combination of things. High tank and system pressure coupled with leaking injectors. AFTER reading quoted page again i see that they are really checking for external leaks but this will still check leaks into the intake/head.
    Last edited by halfassjack; 11-06-2007 at 12:39 PM.

+1
    Come on KAWASAKI we know you read this, give the people some help that wave the flag for you.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information