Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mad about machines

Whether to buy SL750

Hi all, I am new to the Jetski scene as have been a boatie and am looking at buying a SL750. Just wanting to know what things to look for in terms of tell tale problem signs.
    I am aware it has had a piston replaced recently and so will need to be run in. This being said how do I know what would have caused the piston to blow?? may just check crank etc to be sure there's no damage/warping. There is paperwork i will check.
    Just after a few procedures for when I inspect it as it wont be tested on water just with hose through it.
    Also how do these skis go at towing wakeboarders as I would be keen to try that every once in a while when im not blatting around pissing off all the boaties.
    Would love some feedback as I am a newbie and don't want to be ripped blind.
    Thanks a lot for any help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	possible SL750.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	43944  

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    To start, you shouldn't tow anyone with it. You need a 3 seater to legally tow. Check compression before ya buy if ya can.
    The pistons usually get damaged when they are run w/ a lean condition. Fuel delivery issues are the main cause. Faulty fuel pump, kinked fuel lines, clogged filters or pickup strainer in fuel tank are the usual causes. Fuel cut-off valves sometimes can be a cause.
    The 650 and 750's came w/ single outlet fuel pumps that need to be updated to tripple outlet.
    I suggest to you if you buy it, change all fuel lines and shut off valve. Clean the carbs and replace the pump if its a single. replace the pump pulse line and keep the length under 10".
    If properly maintained, they are dependable skis.
    Good luck.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jaminjarmin View Post
    Hi all, I am new to the Jetski scene as have been a boatie and am looking at buying a SL750.
    Just wanting to know what things to look for in terms of tell tale problem signs.
    I am aware it has had a piston replaced recently and so will need to be run in. This being said how do I know what would have caused the piston to blow?? may just check crank etc to be sure there's no damage/warping. There is paperwork i will check.
    Just after a few procedures for when I inspect it as it wont be tested on water just with hose through it.
    Also how do these skis go at towing wakeboarders as I would be keen to try that every once in a while when im not blatting around pissing off all the boaties.
    Would love some feedback as I am a newbie and don't want to be ripped blind.
    Thanks a lot for any help
    Wakeboarding; Where are you located?
    Some places forbid towing without BOTH a spotter on board, AND a place for the person being towed. That means a 3 person ski, minimum. Also, some places require mirrors on the tow boat.

A SL750 has enough power to pull, but only just, and will be fully tasked if you have a spotter on board. The seat is just big enough for two people.

This thread includes some pointers and a Word document with more guidance on buying a PWC.

Regarding the piston failure, do some searches in the Polaris section (use Advanced Search).

In general, the number one thing to watch for is fuel system and carburetor issues. The Fuji engined Polaris models can be very reliable, but only if you take the time to update and replace the known trouble spots;
    Old style single outlet fuel pump
    Fuel lines, inside the tank and to/from the engine
    Fuel filters, check valves
    Carburetor internal cleanliness
    Water getting into the fuel system from a leaking/cracked fuel filler.
    Water in the fuel/water separator (see above)

If the carbs have gunk accumulated inside, or have just been left sitting for too long (stored without fuel conditioner, for example), then they will not feed enough fuel to the engine, and the pistons will fail from lean burn, which causes excess piston heat.

There are a few other small issues to watch for, but I think you will figure it out, just start searching and reading. There are lots of other folks who are also just getting started with these 1990's Polaris models.

Oh yes, when running it on the hose, there are some important points;
    - Never run the water without the motor already running. Start motor, start water flow. Stop water, stop motor (first burp the throttle to push excess water out of the exhaust system)
    Be sure the through-hull drive shaft bearing has been greased (this normally requires a needle type tip on your grease gun)
    There are also bearings sealed inside the jet pump, and these will overheat if you run then engine for more than a minute or two without cooling water spraying onto the stator section of the jet pump.

Even if it is too cold to ride, if you can back the trailer into the water, you can partially test the motor under load with the boat still strapped to the trailer.

Good luck with your purchase. Keep us posted on your porgress, and we will try to help you.

Welcome to the green Hulk Forums!!

I would check the crank index and compression. Those are good indicators of engine health.

I would also want to talk to the shop that made the repairs. Did they fix the problem that took out the piston or did they just replace the piston.

Let us know how it goes.

+1
    I'd also like to WELCOME you to the Green Hulk Forums!!

Looks like everybody has you covered.

mad about machines
    Cheers all,
    A lot of very useful information.
    I am from NZ and thought id join up to get some advice and parts sourcing in the future as they can be very scarce down here.
    In terms of getting a tripple outlet fuel pump where would be the best place to order that can send internationally??
    From reading a few posts it seems they are almost a must for reliability and minimising any possible future issues.
    Is holding finger over plug holes a viable way to test compression if i can not get my hands on a tool?? just in terms of knowing it isn't blown?
    Thanks again, great to get a warm reception,
    Ben

+1
    Ben, very few go to the trouble of shipping internationally, one that does and will give you technical support as well is Randy from Watcon.
    You'll see Randy has offered the Polaris board TONS of information so I think it's nice to give business to the guys/gals that help us here.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk. A finger over the plug hole is too inaccurate. You can usually rent a compression tester from an auto parts store up here, not sure in NZ though. You are looking for readings to be no more than 10% difference between cyls. For example, 120 psi, 118 psi, and 110 psi would be accaptable while a 120, 110 and 90 wouldn't be. another main cause of piston failure is leaking gaskets or crankshaft seals. If air leaks past these seals, it leans out the air/fuel mixture and would seiously damage a piston as well, leading to failure.

mad about machines
    OK i will see if I can source a compression tester from a local dealer.
    I have been offered a 1996 Kawasaki ZXi900 for slightly more with a recent pump recondition. In terms of reliability would it be better to go to the kawasaki as I am aware they also have another 20hp on the Polaris??
    Am rather torn at the moment

+1
    My buddy had great luck with his ZXi, loved it until a friend ran it aground and totaled it.
    His looked just like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information