+1

Modifed RXP's: Areas prone to failure.

Brushing up on my RXP info as I will be switching over in a couple months.

With the following main mods, what are typical trouble areas (if any) that one should be aware of and keep an eye on.

S3 Charger
    Piranha Intercooler with rear exhaust
    42# injectors
    Rear intake
    stock ecu

The other typical accessory mods as well. But with these main power adders, what do we look for. All skis have their "areas" for attention when increasing power, heat, and speed. What are they for the RXP?

+1
    You have the basic power adders covered. Make sure you get metal washers with your s3 charger and make sure you don't submerge or flip your ski with the rear air intake installed. Also, replace the zip ties on the bailer tubes with small clamps. Some other reliability mods are the solid front engine mount and the stainless steel wear ring.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    You have the basic power adders covered. Make sure you get metal washers with your s3 charger and make sure you don't submerge or flip your ski with the rear air intake installed. Also, replace the zip ties on the bailer tubes with small clamps. Some other reliability mods are the solid front engine mount and the stainless steel wear ring.
    Thanks. Other than that, no major areas for concern. It is my understanding that with the mods I listed these motors are pretty darn reliable, espescially if you stay with the stock ECU and are turning stock RPM's.

How about the muffler bearings? But seriously, I've gotten the idea that ceramic bearings are fairly important in the S3 SC to help prevent touchdowns, but the ceramic bearing failures are scaring the hell out of me. When they go, you're in much worse shape than if one of the stock ceramic washers blew. What I would pay to just be bulletproof!

I would say keep an eye on your carbon seal, like fizzle said get a front mount the more mods you get the more you will need one to maintain a healthy driveline. Also, a catch can and Strianer to keep your IC clean on the outside and inside, this also helps keep consistant numbers. The more and more you ride without them the Ic will eventually get more and more cloggeed and youll start losing rpm's gradually. Keep a close eye on the bottom of the hull for stress cracks and any other kind of cracks. ALWAYS run 91-93 octane. Those are all i can think of right now. Its what ive done and i have had no problems with my 06 so far and has always runs great and hasnt let me down (knock on wood).

+1
    Replace those metal clamps with some good hose clamps where the coolant hoses attach to the ride plate inside the hull!
    Mine were leaking a little!

+1
    JFizzleJr--ReDevilRXP--Oklagp1200---All you guys are absolutly correct.
    As for the cermaic bearing failures on the upgraded SC--the three bolts which hold the SC to the block were not tightened equal--therefore putting the housing in a bind causing the failure. I have all the mods listed on this thread plus many more--including a Rude SC--over 100 hours and no issues. MPower you can run in the 80 MPH range with complete realiability.

Quote Originally Posted by MPower View Post
    Brushing up on my RXP info as I will be switching over in a couple months.

With the following main mods, what are typical trouble areas (if any) that one should be aware of and keep an eye on.

S3 Charger
    Piranha Intercooler with rear exhaust
    42# injectors
    Rear intake
    stock ecu

The other typical accessory mods as well. But with these main power adders, what do we look for. All skis have their "areas" for attention when increasing power, heat, and speed. What are they for the RXP?
    A little more stress on the SC clutch because of the S3 charger, so it may need to be maitenenced a little more often (again this mainly depends on how you ride). Chance of a leaky core with the IC, but then again there is a chance of this with the stock IC too. As mentioned earlier get a strainer for the IC to reduce chance of clogging it. Chance of water injestion with the rear air. Also as mentioned earlier, with this intake run a catch can. It prevents that gunky oil residue from going into your IC and making it less efficient.

As far as other mods...As mentioned earlier, the more mods you add you will want to go to a sturdier front engine mount to take stress off the driveline and carbon seal. If you upgrade your ECU to run higher RPM then you better be upgrading your valve train so you don't float a valve. Rude SC and B-kit SC put even more stress on the SC clutch. The higher the speeds you're running you may want to consider the R&D girdle kit for your grate.

+1
    Get the B or rude and an oil clutch system, Riva ecu and 50's

Thread Information